Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Cold-blooded Cannibals

Started by JvA ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Cold-blooded Cannibals

8 posts
  1. Hey everyone,

     

    I've recently created my first short film, together with my friend and fellow photographer Nate Dappen:

    Cold-blooded Cannibals

     

    The reason I'm sharing this, besides hoping you'll like it, is it features some underwater footage that we shot on a Canon 5D MkII inside a Subal housing for the old Canon 5D. It fits quite well actually, most of the controls work. Of course there's no live-view button...

     

    Getting an old Subal housing for your 5D MkII is obviously not a good idea, but considering the previous discussion on having the CD5 modified for the MkII, I figured it might be of interest to some of you.

     

    Joris

  2. Hi all,

     

    Joris's excellent video is embedded below:

     

    [vimeohd]24918263[/vimeohd]

     

    Adam

  3. Thank you Adam, I didn't realize it was possible to embed.

  4. Some beautiful lizard shots and angles. Well done. I did notice that the audio panned to the right at one point and there was some stutter here and there. Maybe that was due to the encode process. Loved the lizard shot backlit by the setting sun. Beautiful color in that.

    Steve

  5. Some beautiful lizard shots and angles. Well done. I did notice that the audio panned to the right at one point and there was some stutter here and there. Maybe that was due to the encode process. Loved the lizard shot backlit by the setting sun. Beautiful color in that.

    Steve

     

    Steve, thank you.

     

    Could you explain what you mean by "the audio panned to the right"? Do you mean stutter in the audio or in the video? In terms of video I now understand that some of the jerkiness was due to the shutter speed being too high, and I'm sure we could use a better tripod head as well.

     

    My background is in biology and still photography, so video and especially audio are still a little foreign to me!

     

    Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback.

    Edited by JvA
  6. :)
  7. JVA,

    Actually enjoyed it even more the 2nd time around. You asked about the audio glitches so I went through it and here is what I found:

    at :18 there is a brief dropout of audio when you narrate 'or perish'

    at 1:42-1:58 Though throughout, your narration is sent to both left and right channels, at 1:42 it shifts to the right channel only. This happens again at 1:47 with 'and defecating seeds'

    at 2:22 a slight shift in volume here and at 2:56

     

    Just stunning footage, great depth of field shots

    Great film

    Steve

  8. Thanks a lot Steve, your feedback is helpful and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.