Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17mm

Started by allan ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17mm

2 posts
  1. Hi

     

    Forgive me for repeating a post on another channel but I didn't get any response to my question.

     

    I have a Nikon D700 with nauticam housing and a sigma 14mm wide angle.

     

    I've heard much talk about the Tokina 10-17mm and am wondering how this would differ from the sigma that i already own. Now that Tokina came out with the new model, what are the advantages of having that lens in addition to the sigma? Or am i just duplicating? The D700 is an 'fx' model.

     

    Thanks

    Allan

  2. Hi

     

    Forgive me for repeating a post on another channel but I didn't get any response to my question.

     

    I have a Nikon D700 with nauticam housing and a sigma 14mm wide angle.

     

    I've heard much talk about the Tokina 10-17mm and am wondering how this would differ from the sigma that i already own. Now that Tokina came out with the new model, what are the advantages of having that lens in addition to the sigma? Or am i just duplicating? The D700 is an 'fx' model.

     

    Thanks

    Allan

    Your 14mm is a rectilinear lens. The 15mm Sigma fisheye is significantly wider and is excellent underwater. The Tokina10-17 has some use on FX but is limited. The 10-17 is a fisheye zoom optimized for DX, to get the same range on FX you must use it with a teleconvertor. I have done this and posted results here on WP if you do a search. If you do not use a TC it will crop the image below about 13-14mm. The combination with TC loses one stop of light which does effect focusing etc in low light. The combination with TC works well in bright light like snorkeling at the surface with large animals, quality is decent but not exceptional.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.