Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which dome for Sea & Sea MDX-PRO D700 for WA lenses

Started by chipi ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Which dome for Sea & Sea MDX-PRO D700 for WA lenses

4 posts
  1. Hello fellow divers / underwater photographers

     

    I just got my hands on Sea & Sea MDX-PRO D700 for my D700 and started building rig around it. I have Nikon 16-35 and plan to get Sigma 15mm as well. My areas of interest is WA and CFWA. Also interested in splits.

     

    Next step is to get a dome.

     

    I think these are my dome options (in case I want to have one dome only) sorted by price:

    1. Sea & Sea 8'' dome - 650 USD

    2. Sea & Sea 8'' optical dome by Athena - 1250 USD

    3. Zen 8'' dome - 1399 USD

    4. Zen 9'' dome - 1899 USD

     

    So ratio is 1:3 from basic option to most expensive one which is significant.

     

    I looked somewhere at some test where somebody compared options #1 and #2 on D300 and brought conclusion that no value added in optical dome. Am wandering is it because DX chip or simply that's how it is.

     

    So, fellow divers, please share your opinion and recommend way to go.

     

    My goal is to get 1 dome and make sure I don't need to change it in next few years and at same time to be happy with my photos.

     

    I am not a PRO, I am I guess advanced amateur so willing to compromise in order to keep an eye on budget if it makes sense.

     

    Also advise on extension rings. I think I saw that Alex Mustard uses 9'' dome with something as 65mm, freedivephoto planned using 60mm since 40mm was not enough for his 8'' dome ... no other details posts found.

     

    I appreciate all the ideas/comments

     

    Thanks,

    Marko

  2. I own wide-angle dome ports by Aquatica, Subal, Secam, Hugyfot and Nexus. I think I am on record as saying that the sharpest edge-to-edge results I have ever got with an acylic dome have been with the Sea & Sea one but I got myself a Sea & Sea optical glass dome and found it was equally as good and that much smaller and more convenient to transport and use. In fact I now have an adapter so that I can use it on my Hugyfot housing. I have no experience of the Zen domes.

    I regularly see my pictures at DPS (and very much larger at the UK Dive Shows.)

  3. Hi John

     

    Thanks for feedback.

     

    Are you FX or DX since I believe that might have impact as well on corner sharpness - I guess some domes even if excellent for DX might not be so good for FX ... but not sure, so asking.

     

    Also, which lenses you use and are you using diopters as well to improve corner sharpness?

     

    Thanks,

    Marko

     

    I own wide-angle dome ports by Aquatica, Subal, Secam, Hugyfot and Nexus. I think I am on record as saying that the sharpest edge-to-edge results I have ever got with an acylic dome have been with the Sea & Sea one but I got myself a Sea & Sea optical glass dome and found it was equally as good and that much smaller and more convenient to transport and use. In fact I now have an adapter so that I can use it on my Hugyfot housing. I have no experience of the Zen domes.

    I regularly see my pictures at DPS (and very much larger at the UK Dive Shows.)

  4. Hi John

     

    Thanks for feedback.

     

    Are you FX or DX since I believe that might have impact as well on corner sharpness - I guess some domes even if excellent for DX might not be so good for FX ... but not sure, so asking.

     

    Also, which lenses you use and are you using diopters as well to improve corner sharpness?

     

    Thanks,

    Marko

     

     

    Both:

    FX. 15mm Sigma and 16mm Nikkor fish-eyes, and 20mm Nikkor. No dioptres required with either Sea & Sea domes (but correct spacer).

     

    DX. 10-17mm Tokina

    Edited by John Bantin
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.