Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

kenko 1.4 pro 300 dxg

Started by nick smith ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

kenko 1.4 pro 300 dxg

11 posts
  1. Hi all,

    can anyone tell me for sure if the nikon 60mm af-s will AUTO FOCUS with the kenko 1.4 pro 300 dxg teleconverter or for that matter any 3rd party 1.4 telecon

    as reading many conflicting reports. with thanks, Nick

  2. Hi Nick,

     

    the Nikon 60mm AF-S will NOT Auto Focus with the Kenko TC's. I have both the DGX TC and the

    AF-S lens and when put together the auto focus will just jitter as it tries and fails to focus.

     

    The confusion may be because the older 60mm D lens will work with 3rd party TC's.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  3. I have the AF-S 60mm Nikon and the Kenko 1.4 pro 300 teleconvertor. I just went outside and shot some images with it. It does work on my Nikon D90. However, sometimes I noticed that the focusing kind of jerk in and out before settling down. I really don't use this combo because I have a Nikon 105mm. I got the teleconvertor to use with the Tokina 10-17.

     

    Kirk

  4. Hi all,

    can anyone tell me for sure if the nikon 60mm af-s will AUTO FOCUS with the kenko 1.4 pro 300 dxg teleconverter or for that matter any 3rd party 1.4 telecon

    as reading many conflicting reports. with thanks, Nick

    thanks for the replys, I went to my local camera shop/store with my d90 and nikon 60mm af-s and did the try before you buy with a kenko 1.4 dgx pro 300 and it worked so I also tried the kenko mc4 af 1.4 dgx (non pro) and it worked, so tried both in my housing (sea&sea dx d80) and they both worked, only 1 slight problem

    the sadle that holds the camera in the housing has to be removed to mount the teleconverter but once in place you just put sadle back on and your away, so anyway I went for the mc4 1.4 dgx and so far everythings fine.

    cheers Nick

     

  5. Works. I have an occasional problem with my 1.4x - that the aperture sticks on the first image of a series.

     

    Alex

  6. Very interesting I better give mine another go then, not sure what I was doing wrong previously.

     

    Left my camera at work so will have to give it another try tomorrow.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim

  7. Very interesting I better give mine another go then, not sure what I was doing wrong previously.

     

    Left my camera at work so will have to give it another try tomorrow.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim

     

     

    Just tested mine with nikon D300. Same phenomenon you mentioned earlier. Tries and jitter and occasionally locks focus but most of the time fails.

  8. Ok, just to clarify again, I'm using a Nikkor AF-S 60mm G ED lens with a Kenko 1.4x Pro 300 DGX Teleconverter on a Nikon D90.

     

    It most certainly does struggle with Auto Focus and in low or indoor light situations just jitters in and out trying to get a lock without

    being able to release the shutter. I previously had similar result and wrote it of as useless. I just now gave it a go with a powerful focus

    light (Sola 600) something I did not have to use previously. This assisted greatly and allows me to shoot some frames off however it does

    still struggle and not get a lock speedily or reliably. Despite this I think its worth my time taking it for a dive and seeing how good or bad

    it performs in the field with awareness of its limitations. May work somewhat better behind the Flat Port with the Woody's Diopter? :B):

     

    Could be fun for some dives dedicated to tiny Nudis and/or assorted Sessile Invertebrates. As I have these items in hand its worth a

    try instead of forking out for anything new. Sure though it won't be long before I just end up getting a Nikon 105mm VR and some FIT

    diopters.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  9. Mine works too, and with the Tokina 10-17mm

  10. For those of you who the combination of AF-S 60 mm works with 1.4x TC, does it work in fits and starts or does it really work well? Does it work well enough that you are able to use it for supermacro shots and shots of skittish subjects? Or is the AF jerky and unreliable?

  11. Mine works too, and with the Tokina 10-17mm

     

    Hi Alex both you and Alex.M reported it works but didn't mention on what cameras. Mine also works without AF issues on the 10-17 with my D90. I

    feel that the camera body is part of the equation here. Either that or I've got a dud TC or Lens?

     

    Just gave the 60mm combo a go UW yesterday and while it was incredibly frustrating and difficult to use it will remain an option to me until I decide

    to do further equipment upgrades. As I reported from my topside tests AF was very unreliable and required strong light. Subjects needed a lot of

    patience and so did I which was a struggle in the 10°C water. I got some nice images and was happy with the IQ, so it will be getting some more use

    in the coming Spring months as the Nudi's repopulate.

     

    AF was(sometimes) just good enough to get the focus in the ball park then I would switch to manual focus and rock back and forth to get focus crisp

    before releasing shutter. A focus ring would help further but as I don't have it I couldn't use one.

     

    Conclusion for me is that this combo on the D90 is at best a stop gap and way too unreliable slow to use for quick moving subjects. I guess the superior

    Pro camera bodies with better AF should yield better results.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.