Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

home made fiber optic

Started by renep ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

home made fiber optic

4 posts
  1. I was tinkering with my UFL1 and I tested an old idea of mine. Looking at the Intova synch fiber optic cable I asked myself if that cable was different from normal clear monofilament.

     

    I tried a 20 inch then a 36 inch piece of 1.8 mm monofilament used for tuna fishing and found that I could trigger the flash every time. This monofilament is not even coated!

     

    Rene

    http://miami2montreal.com

  2. Yes, well done.

    The prices charged for 'proper' fibre cables is ridiculous in my opinion.

  3. I was tinkering with my UFL1 and I tested an old idea of mine. Looking at the Intova synch fiber optic cable I asked myself if that cable was different from normal clear monofilament.

     

    I tried a 20 inch then a 36 inch piece of 1.8 mm monofilament used for tuna fishing and found that I could trigger the flash every time. This monofilament is not even coated!

     

    Rene

    http://miami2montreal.com

    I've tried fishing line monofilaments but the one I tested didn't work well. Finally I ordered from here and it's not expensive at all:

    http://thefiberopticstore.com/purchase/endglowfilament.htm

     

    I've used it for flash adapter but it should also work as synch fiber optic cable. See my previous thread here:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38176

     

    Cheers

     

    Marcell

  4. oh wow, these prices are not too bad considering the amounts we require. Buying 100 yards of 1.8 mm fishing mono is about 20$ but if you don't fish for tuna or spearfish you may as well go for the real product. It's 20$ for 50 feet! Thanks Marcell!

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.