Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Ken Rockwell

Started by Cal ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Ken Rockwell

13 posts
  1. Hey Crew

     

    So i'm trying my hand at film photography.

     

    I've been researching a stack and I always seem to stumble upon articles by Ken Rockwell.

     

    heres a few that I found interesting and worth sharing.

     

    Please dont think i'm starting up a digital vs film debate - this is just for something to read.

     

    Please take all of this with a grain of salt - the guy does have some strong arguments but IMHO hes also incredible biased.

     

    "why we love film" - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/why-we-love-film.htm

     

    "Film vs digital" - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filmdig.htm

     

    "Film resolution - pixel count" - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/film-resolution.htm

     

    'The real raw" - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/real-raw.htm

     

    "D200 vs film" - http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200/d200-vs-4x5.htm

     

     

    This one is actually worth reading

     

    "The megapixel myth" http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

     

    After reading these articles I feel mildly brainwashed :)

     

    Cheers

     

    Cal

  2. Hi Cal,

    Read Ken's about page before you take him too seriously;

    "I have the energy and sense of humor of a three-year old, so remember, this is a personal website, and never presented as fact. I enjoy making things up for fun"

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. haha yeah that pretty much sums it up.

     

    The megapixel myth article is pretty interesting though.

     

    I'd love to try the little experiment they did.

     

    Cal

  4. Ken has a lot os BS and is opineated, but he does have a high knowledge of cameras and photography.

    Read him, but with a grain of salt!

  5. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says (e.g. I think shooting RAW is a damn good idea if you are going for quality).

    But I love his reviews on bits of equipment.

     

    I recommend his website to any aspiring photographer

  6. I think it is important to note the date on everything he posts.

     

    All of us with opinions, reserve the right to change them over time.

     

    I once did an underwater test for a mag. comparing a digital camera (Nikon D100) with a film camera (Nikon F100). At that time t the film was clearly better. Things have changed.

     

    If you read my opinion then today, you'd laugh. I know I do!

  7. KR is extremely good at self promotion on the web. Beyond that he needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt as he is highly opinionated and often inaccurate .......

  8. Bags of salt required actually! :dance:

  9. I have read a lot of his reviews of old Nikon lenses. I think I have read at least 5+ articles which state "this is the best lens Nikon ever made". Tough to trust him when he uses so many absolutes.

  10. I have read a lot of his reviews of old Nikon lenses. I think I have read at least 5+ articles which state "this is the best lens Nikon ever made". Tough to trust him when he uses so many absolutes.

     

    Well, this is the best underwater photography website ever made - until something better comes along!

  11. I'm in agreement with the 'grain of salt' appraisal. I do however enjoy checking up on his website regularly and reading his reviews of new gear.

     

    SOS

  12. Kens stuff is really good if you want to find out want a setting is and what it does, may of his reviews have example images and these are really helpful. I always use his information along with some other websites to get the info I need.

  13. If you want to stir things up on a traditional photography forum, bring up Ken's name and refer to his website. Personally, I haven't visited his site in over 5 years for reasons I don't even remember.

     

    I'm not suggesting anyone else avoid his site or discount his posts; I just don't find any value there for me. I'm a new member to thisforum and this is my first post but I would suggest checking other sites aswell and have a number of other sources I turn to when looking for photography techniques,equipment reviews, and recommendations.

     

    As a long time photographer with a new interest inunderwater photography, I'm hoping there is better advice here that what Iremember from Ken.

     

    Edited by GeorgeH
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.