Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Gloves

Started by WanderingBob ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Gloves

7 posts
  1. I am traveling to Guadalupe next month to photograph the great whites. I am wondering if a 1.5mm or 3mm glove would give me enough dexterity to still use controls on camera (Subal ND30) and still be comfortable.

     

    I plan to dive with a 5mm wetsuit (5-7mm advised), and possibly a hooded vest too. Would I even need gloves? Or should I get a thicker pair?

     

    Still thinking too much.

     

    Thanks,

  2. I didn't wear gloves there - as I had a drysuit (because of where I had been en route) - so was very warm.

     

    Fourth Element's 3mm gloves are, for me, one of the best combinations of warmth and flexibility.

     

    Subal's housings are generally very easy to use in much thicker gloves than the ones you are considering (or need in Guadalupe).

     

    Hope this puts your mind at rest.

     

    Alex

  3. What's a glove?

     

    I only wear gloves below 40 Fahrenheit, although Alex would tell you that I do carry bioprene...

     

    Tim

     

    :B):

  4. Yes, but you're weird, Tim!

     

    Some of that water we were diving in earlier in the year (above 60˚N) was very chilly and most people's hands were getting very cold in 5mm or more gloves. And you were bare-handed. Nutter!

     

    Alex

  5. Bare handed is pretty good for me down to about 12 degrees...after that my hands go numb. Most cave divers wear 3mm or 5mm gloves, but cut the first few fingers off to give more feeling and dexterity. Some newer dives on my boat used to refer to these as "hobo gloves".

  6. Water temp typically is low/mid 70's. May not really need gloves, but good for protection. I use a pair of thin leather work gloves (Home Depot). 7mm suit should be ok, but bring a vest just in case. Also a hood - things could get a little messy at times. Depending on boat/operation & current Mexican regulations (they keep changing) there may or may not be a certain amount of "chum" in the water. Compared to Alaska this will feel like the tropics.

    Edited by jcclink
  7. I have yet to dive in Alaska, was gonna meet Eric and Alex in South East this summer, but that was changed. Bummer. So, I planned to dive around here, but the summer is ticking away too fast. I should really get a dry suit. Currently, I own a 3mm suit which I have used in the South Pacific and Caribbean, but have been cold many times. I had planned to get a 5mm suit to be more comfortable in these locals, so I am toying with a dry suit vs 5mm vs 7mm.

     

    I think a 7mm would be ideal for Guadalupe, but would that be too much for other locals? Haha! I think I'm OK without gloves at least.

     

    Thanks for the responses so far.

     

    Bob

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.