I have decided to house my 5d ii with the ikelite housing. I have a 28-70mm l series lens and was wondering if this would be as good a lens underwater as it is above? I absolutely love this lens and would love to be able to use it. I know that you generally want to use a wide angle lens UW and was wondering which lens is best for the Canon series? I am basically looking for recommendations for new lenses for both wide angle and Macro that are Ideal for Underwater with the 5d ii. It kills me to find out that the l-series glass is not the best for UW shots after how much it cost me.
gotta love photography... ![]()
- 10Posts
- 10Replies
Read-only discussion
L series lenses UW?
-
-
considering the sigma 17-70 has some followers in cropped format, it could work as a medium scouting lens profiding it focusses close enough (might need a diopter).
It would need a dome. Looks like Ikelite list a 28-70 but dont know if that is the L. It could be too fat for the port system as well.
As for other lenses : 15mm fisheye (could be sigma). 100mm macro. I use the older one without stabilisation on a cropped sensor, but use also the 60mm EFS (which wont work directly on the 5D.
-
I have decided to house my 5d ii with the ikelite housing. I have a 28-70mm l series lens and was wondering if this would be as good a lens underwater as it is above? I absolutely love this lens and would love to be able to use it. I know that you generally want to use a wide angle lens UW and was wondering which lens is best for the Canon series? I am basically looking for recommendations for new lenses for both wide angle and Macro that are Ideal for Underwater with the 5d ii. It kills me to find out that the l-series glass is not the best for UW shots after how much it cost me.
gotta love photography... 
100mm macro
15mm Sigma Fisheye
17-40mm Lseries
I am not familiar with the Ike port system, but these are the lenses that I use with my Sea and Sea housing. The 15mm Sigma vary rarely comes off.
Stew
-
The Canon 14mm L II 2.8 is the only lens I have used underwater on my 5DII thus far (2.5 years, 250 dives). I love it.
-
The Canon 14mm L II 2.8 is the only lens I have used underwater on my 5DII thus far (2.5 years, 250 dives). I love it.
Thank you all so much for the replies. I am definitely going to give the 15mm sigma a try. I have done some research and found nothing but positive reviews. Not to mention, at almost 1/10 the price of the l-series, (used) you really can't beat that. This forum has been so much help to me already. I feel I may end up spending too much time on here!
-
Thank you all so much for the replies. I am definitely going to give the 15mm sigma a try. I have done some research and found nothing but positive reviews. Not to mention, at almost 1/10 the price of the l-series, (used) you really can't beat that. This forum has been so much help to me already. I feel I may end up spending too much time on here!
Consider adding a 1.4 Teleconvertor like the Kenko 300 pro, depending on the size of animal and the degree of wide angle you want to shoot, having the 15mm, and the 15mm with 1.4 option covers a lot of wide angle options.
-
Consider adding a 1.4 Teleconvertor like the Kenko 300 pro, depending on the size of animal and the degree of wide angle you want to shoot, having the 15mm, and the 15mm with 1.4 option covers a lot of wide angle options
-
Well if I cant switch lenses under water would there be a difference between adding the teleconverter and just using say s 35 mm lens? Sorry, ive never used a teleconverter so I am completely ignorant on the topic. As I understood it, they ware just a method of increasing the zoom of a particular lens instead of having to use a second lens.
-
Well if I cant switch lenses under water would there be a difference between adding the teleconverter and just using say s 35 mm lens? Sorry, ive never used a teleconverter so I am completely ignorant on the topic. As I understood it, they ware just a method of increasing the zoom of a particular lens instead of having to use a second lens.
Essentially with a 15mm and a 1.4TC you have the 10mm and 17mm (or so) equivalents of a 10-17mm Tokina cropped sensor lens on full frame. This is still significantly wider than a rectilinear lens as it is still fisheye perspective. Works really well when you want very wide, but limited fisheye distortion. Yes you cannot change underwater, but with a 10-17, I find I shoot more at the 17mm end than the 10mm. Also still focuses very close and have fewer edge distortion and edge sharpness issues than wide rectilinear underwater.
-
will be nice to see the EF 8-15mm f4 L finally gets into production!