Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Mounting computer on housing

Started by Pfuller ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Mounting computer on housing

18 posts
  1. Anyone tried mounting thier computer puck on their housing? Is it practical?

     

    I thought it might have the benefit of always having the camera at the ready during ascents/descents, but i haven't really thought about the potential issues involved.

     

    Peter

    Edited by Pfuller
  2. Yup

    I have a backup Liquivision X1 strapped the the buoyancy float on the arm.

    I like it there as I can glance at it without moving my eye from the viewfinder, great when shooting super macro stuff and I don't want too loose the subject in the frame.

  3. Years ago, Benemec in Finland made a talking computer. You fitted on your mask strap next to your ear and it continually updated you with your remaining no-stop time, new depth and ascent rate - "Slow!". It was great for photographers, videomakers, and instructors but divers were too embarrassed to buy them and Benemec went bust after a brief respite making the Buddy Nexus. I sent mine to a blind diver who was unable to locate one to buy.

  4. I put my backup computer on my housing.

    Edited by cor
  5. I've seen a number of well-known photographers strap their computer to a Stix-type flotation arm.

     

    Tim

     

    :B):

  6. That's what I do, but only my backup computer :B): My primary is on my arm where it should be. In an emergency you should be able to drop your housing but still have your computer in case you need it for ascending. Imo.

  7. I was thinking of the same thing, but my conclusion is too that diving with only one computer and mounted on the housing

    is absolutely no good idea as the computer has to be mounted the diver and not on his camera because there is a hypothetic

    problem when he loose/drop the camera for any reason.

    I thinks that a second computer with a similar algorithm and maybe air integrated would be nice to have and add some extra

    safety for photo/videographers who easily get "lost" in things to record.

    The Ocenaic DataMask may be another solution.

     

    Chris

  8. I know several videographers who do this.

     

    I think it is a bad idea because the computer does not have the same dive profile as the diver. Same idea as using your buddie's dive computer.

     

    It would be okay for your backup computer I think, though you have to reference your primary computer during the dive.

  9. I believe Alex Mustard dives with the computer on his camera housing, or at least he did a while back, if my memory serves me correctly.

    The Ocenaic DataMask may be another solution.

    I have used the Oceanic Datamask for underwater photography. It's nice to be able to check your depth, time, and pressure with just a glance slightly down and to the right. You never have to worry about forgetting yourself by chasing a fish too deep as all your dive info is right before your eyes all the time. You do pay a price in being able see a wide area but it is not a huge price. Also, people will wonder why you are holding your mask up to your face for so long when you begin to program it for nitrox. Should have seen the looks of amazement when I was observed doing so, on a Red Sea liveaboard trip I attended with Alex Mustard back in 2008. I think it took the Egyptian boat hands half the week to work up the nerve to ask me what the heck I was doing. :B):

     

    Two things to think about when diving the Datamask, 1) It can not switch transmitters during a dive, so you can only monitor one tank of air during the dive, and 2) If you should loose your mask, you also loose your dive profile as well, so your buddy will not be able to monitor you dive profile when he/she comes to your aid.

     

    I still like the Datamask but routinely switch between it and my Oceanic VT3 computer and Seavison dive mask.

  10. I think it is a bad idea because the computer does not have the same dive profile as the diver.

     

    How accurate do you think a dive computer's pressure sensor and decompression algorithm is? I would guess, quite apart from individual differences in divers' physiology, that 5% reproducibility would be about right. I agree that you should wear a computer, but I don't think that it's going to make much difference if you use one attached to the camera.

     

    Tim

     

    :B):

  11. I'm liking the sounds of these datamasks.. they'd address the reasons i was asking this question initially, but i'm not 100% convinced on the whole concept of them yet. My head says get one(cool tech gadget and all that), but my gut says keep away(keep it simple). I've been googling and there were a few issues with them when they were first released that oceanic promised were going to be addressed in future releases.

     

    Back in 2007/8, users had the following issues:

     

    * Screw Corrosion (not a biggy)

    * The recorded temperature was slightly inaccurate (again, not a big issue for me)

    * Difficulties connecting with a pc for data transfer (another non issue for me)

    * Rare flooding occurances. (which oceanic addressed promptly)

     

    But what concerns me is the fit, use, and visibilty issues:

     

    * LED slightly limits the field of view.

    * High-ish volume mask. (i've only ever dived a low volume oceanic shadow)

    * Heavy and unbalanced on land - but fine in the water.

    * Generic one size fits all (possible?)

    * LED brightness of night dives and its affects on pupil dilation.

     

     

    From a price perspective, they seem to be reasonably priced now at around $700, which is competitive with other air-integrated computers(plus a good mask).

     

    I'm very tempted to give one a go, and keep my console computer as backup. What is wetpixel members opinions of these datamasks for photographers (in regards to the above issues)?

     

    If they integrated camera settings in the display i'd be sold! :B):

  12. I think it is a bad idea because the computer does not have the same dive profile as the diver. Same idea as using your buddie's dive computer.

     

    I use one on the housing and one on my arm. The computers never differ anything significantly (max 1-2 minutes to deco, 5-10 minutes to no fly). As computers only give you a resonable envelope of safety, the difference between the profile of the computer on your arm and that on the housing should have insignificant security consequences. Of course that only will be a reasonable assumption if you always bring your housing on dives!

     

    Regards Bent C

  13. How accurate do you think a dive computer's pressure sensor and decompression algorithm is? I would guess, quite apart from individual differences in divers' physiology, that 5% reproducibility would be about right. I agree that you should wear a computer, but I don't think that it's going to make much difference if you use one attached to the camera.

     

    Tim

     

    :B):

    When we tested a bunch of computers on the same dive profile the differences were indeed about 4-5% but the biggest differences were between two different computers from the same manufacturer not between manufacturers. I routinely use a Cobra and a D9 with the D9 on my wrist and the Cobra on the HP hose and the two foot difference on a safety stop sometimes means the D9 starts counting down while the Cobra doesn't which makes no sense.

     

    Bill

  14. Hmm? Makes perfect sense. The dive computers need some magic number at which it will start the safety stop countdown. If one divecomputer is at 14 feet, the other at 16 feet, and the safety stop limit is at 15 feet, one will start counting, the other wont. So when I do a safety stop I always make sure both my computers are running ok.

     

    Also, the D9 has a different algorithm than the Cobra if I remember correctly.

  15. I've had my computer on the housing for years. Allows quick access to data like gas supply, ND times etc, without taking your eye off the subject or releasing the housing to look on your wrist. Of course, the 2nd computer is on the reg by my side. I use that computer should I hit deco or on deco dives.

  16. I've long mounted my computer on my strobe arms. I find it far easier to keep an eye on here - and I think this is a significant advantage mainly for convenience, but also for safety. Mounted so, I find I never slip into an air or decompression situation I am not aware of.

     

    There are two obvious problems: first when you dive with no strobes and second when you dive with two housings (as I did yesterday, for example, and had to swap my computer to my wrist half way through the dive).

     

    I am concerned about people thinking there is a significant depth difference between a housing mounted computer and your wrist - thinking that this might be significant for your decompression information. You are aware that a computer is a guide and not 100% gospel. What do you do when your Nitrox comes out at 31.6? Do you even trust the oxygen analyser to that degree?

     

    Alex

  17. I've long mounted my computer on my strobe arms. I find it far easier to keep an eye on here - and I think this is a significant advantage mainly for convenience, but also for safety. Mounted so, I find I never slip into an air or decompression situation I am not aware of.

     

    There are two obvious problems: first when you dive with no strobes and second when you dive with two housings (as I did yesterday, for example, and had to swap my computer to my wrist half way through the dive).

     

    I am concerned about people thinking there is a significant depth difference between a housing mounted computer and your wrist - thinking that this might be significant for your decompression information. You are aware that a computer is a guide and not 100% gospel. What do you do when your Nitrox comes out at 31.6? Do you even trust the oxygen analyser to that degree?

     

    Alex

    Nitrox analyzers are way worse than dive computers in terms of reproducibility because there are too many variables (like flow rate of the gas, local relative humidity that affects the teflon membrane on the sensor, local temperature etc). My take is that if the machines read +/- 2% (30 to 32%) I am happy. They shouldn't even put a decimal point on them.

     

    Bill

     

     

    Hmm? Makes perfect sense. The dive computers need some magic number at which it will start the safety stop countdown. If one divecomputer is at 14 feet, the other at 16 feet, and the safety stop limit is at 15 feet, one will start counting, the other wont. So when I do a safety stop I always make sure both my computers are running ok.

     

    Also, the D9 has a different algorithm than the Cobra if I remember correctly.

    Both the Cobra and D9 start countdown at 19 feet more or less but you are right, the D9 has a very different algorithm and gives me at least a little bit more bottom time.

    Bill

  18. With regards to the Datamask:

     

    I found the LED screen as you put it, did not significantly reduced my vision at all. When diving I found I was usually in a forward facing position and was looking out of the top of the mask. You may want to check which part of the mask lens you are looking through on your next couple of dives.

     

    I found the peripheral vision to be slightly limited, and wondered what photographic capture opportunities I was missing because of the slightly larger volume of this mask as compared to other low version masks. But hey!, if David Doublet can dive a Nemrod Bali oval mask with optical lens inserts, and consistently turn out fantastic eye-catching images, who am I to complain about high mask volume.

     

    On land the mask feels more like it is loose on your face and might slide off even when firmly tightened down. Have not really noticed any balance issues, as I am usually more occupied with my 7mm hood. I really don't care for hoods but realize they are pretty well standard equipment if your going to dive up here in Canada.

     

    One thing I did appreciate about the Datamask is the mask skirt. I compared it to the other mask I have and found the skirt to be extra wide where it contacts you face. It also seems to be more comfortable compared to other masks I have used.

     

    And finally, with regards to night dives and LED brightness, you can dim the level of brightness considerably. You can also have the computer shut down the display after so many seconds of illumination. When you do this, you will need to tap the main button to see the screen again. Bottom line was computer illumination on night dives are not an issue.

     

    You are right about the computer download issue being kind of wonky but I find this to be secondary in nature and usually only download dive profile after about twenty to thirty dives have been logged on the Datamask.

     

    You may want to download the owners manual from Oceanic so you can make a really informed choice as to whether you should purchase the mask or not. Downloading and reading the owner's manual before purchasing is the only way I buy big ticket items anymore.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.