Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Still Looking for best P&S autofocus for UW

Started by derway ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Still Looking for best P&S autofocus for UW

3 posts
  1. After using a housed film SLR for a decade, and a housed P&S digi for a couple years, I really prefer the P&S digi, for compactness, lightness, price, etc.

     

    But the autofocus on my G3 is not good enough, especially after being a couple years old.

     

    Ther perfect shot, but the focus won't lock, and it won't go, and the fish is moving and the shot it less perfect, and 2.5 seconds later it still hasn't gone off, and the fish is gone...

     

    Before I break down, and go d100 or S2, are there any P&S digis out there, that you are really happy with the AF performance?

     

    In less than perfect lighting of underwater? Less than perfect contrast.. Moving subject...

     

    If I miss any more shots due to the camera refusing to focus and go off, I think I'll open my housing underwater, and leave the camera there.

     

    Anyone have a P&S with AF performance you LOVE?

     

    Don

  2. I have an Oly 3040 and a 5050. I don't know if you consider these cameras P&S, but they do a great job of focusing underwater. And I can't imagine using a camera that wasn't good at focusing, as there is nothing I know that I could do to really fix out of focus pics.

  3. Hi Peter.

     

    Yes, of course they are P&S cameras.

     

    My impression, from all the reviews and playing with a 5050 a few minutes only on land, was that it was no better focus than the canon G2.

     

    I was thinking the 5050 might allow the shot, but then be out of focus, (like if you are in macro mode, trying to focus a bit too far).

     

    This is probably better than preventing the shot altogether....

     

    Anyone else?

     

    Don

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.