...Thom Hogan discusses the probable new mirrorless format of 2.7 crop. He argues that it could actually be the perfect format between P&S and present DSLR and mirror less formats. If small enough and with the right lens support this camera format could be a great underwater entry level format.
Does the market really need a format 'between' P&S and current DLSR/mirrorless? I seem to recall that 4:3rds got crucified by everyone for daring to drop to a 2x crop at a DSLR level, and now their micro 4:3rds cameras (at the same crop) are pretty tiny, plus they're allowing some lens distortion and correcting it in-camera to shrink the lenses. Sony E-mount NEX are pretty small for a 1.5 crop...and the A33 and A55 SLT cameras (neither mirrorless nor SLR anymore) are pretty tiny and light with most of the advantages of the better crossovers (PDAF, no shutter delay a la "live view" mirror flap as with a mirrorless) ... yet only Ikelite has bothered making a housing for them.
I mean, do we really need another intermediate step? Will it really be much of an entry-level offering for U/W if no one houses it (aside from Ike, which means they use an existing nearest-fit mold, so the housed system is no smaller than either the nearest equivalent P&S or mirrorless system)?
Disclaimer: I recently chose to abandon 4:3rds for the Sony A-mount, and have an SLT-a55 (see sig). I guess I'm of the opinion that it's the best current compromise between SLR and 'mirrorless' (I didn't want to give up true PDAF, but was willing to give up an OVF), and am a bit irritated that some of the high-end housing manufacturers are housing NEX but not the SLT series....the last thing I want to see is MORE market fragmentation.