Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

More Plankton-like Stuff

Started by laz217 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

More Plankton-like Stuff

4 posts
  1. This little guy was less than 1/4-inch long, bright yellow and moved by wiggling its whole body frantically in all directions. I photographed it while doing my safety stop... Any ideas?

  2. i believe it is dirt

     

     

     

     

     

    uuuuuuur um, this critter ID is getting way to hard for me ... im gonna have to go do a BSc in Marine Bilogoy just to keep posting in these forums.

     

    :D:D:o

  3. It is a larval fish. It is unusual for larvae to be pigmented, usually they are pretty much translucent. It doesn't have any major distinctive features so hard to ID any further.

     

    When I was doing long night dives for coral spawning in September the water was full of fish larvae and post larvae. While waiting for the coral to go off I watched a group of about 10 post-larval surgeonfish settle.

     

    Alex

  4. Come on, Alex! I threw you an easy one. I thought for sure you'd know this one... It's no other than the post-larval stage of a whale shark.. Can't you see the resemblance?.. No, neither can I.

     

    :D

     

     

    I think the critter's pigmentation was what truly caught my eye. Where as mostly everything I photograph in The Plankton Zone (15ft) is translucent, this little critter was a very bright yellow color. If I ever see one again I will attempt to get a better (closer) photograph.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.