Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

lens voor canon 7D

Started by Martijn ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

lens voor canon 7D

13 posts
  1. What lens would you advise for a canon 7D for fish fotography?

     

    At this moment I have a EF-S60mm lens and a ef-s10-22mm

     

    So much choise so I can use some advise.

     

    REgards,

     

    Martijn

  2. hoi martijn,

     

    depends on the size of the fish.... and the water. (in Nederland?)

     

    I tried these baby lumpfish last year with my 100mm macro.

    5970166716_75f5ae695c.jpg

    _MG_8702 by Cerianthus, on Flickr

     

    For slightly larger ones, your 60mm would be nice as well

     

    5970135200_6d5cc4e040.jpg

    _MG_9584 by Cerianthus, on Flickr

     

    Havent used my 10-22mm under water, but that might work quite nice. FOr wide angle I use a 15mm fisheye, but if I would go and buy one now, it would be the Tokina 10-17mm fe

  3. Thank you Gerard,

     

    Would a zoom lens like ef-s 17-85mm usefull onderwater?

     

     

     

    REgards,

     

    ps I live in Holland, but I huse them also on holiday in f.e. Egypt.

     

    Martijn

  4. dont really know. I think the 17-85 mm might not focus close enough. There are some threads on the sigma 17-70mm, which might be better for underwater if you want a " scouting" lens.

    Edited by Cerianthus
  5. With the crop sensor, I find the Sigma 17-70mm quite useful, it has a more than decent zoom range and very good close up capabillity going down from 1:2.3 to 1:2.7 depending on the lens model (they had three versions of the lens). and at the price they sell it! its a very good bang for buck package.

     

    I use mine often behind a 6" dome with +/-40mm of extension

  6. I use both lenses you mention underwater and they are excellent. I suggest you do micro-adjustment for the 60mm - it made a noticeable difference to the sharpness when I did this.

     

    The other two lenses I use are the Canon 100m IS L macro and the Tokina 10-17mm (which I often use with the Kenko 1.4x extender). The Tokina is the most favourite wide-angle lens for many if not most underwater photographers.

     

    Canon have just released the EF 8-15 f/4L Fisheye lens which Canon shooters are very excited to try.

  7. Can I suggest you buy the book "The Underwater Photographer" (4th edition) by Martine Edge? It is nothing less than excellent, and explains the advantages and disadvantages of different lenses, as well as everything else about our hobby.

    Edited by Will_Clark
  8. I have the book and I agree it is very good.

     

    Thank you for all you input.

     

    Regards,

     

    Martijn

  9. 60mm is very nice (particularly in murky water), though in clearer water I find myself grabbing the 100mm unless the subjects are larger ones.

     

    Wide angle, no choice the Tokina 10-17mm hands down over the 10-22mm (and I have both) in my opinion.

  10. If people talk about f.e. 60 mm lens for a crop camerea, do they mean a real 60mm before cropping or an ef-s60mm lens?

     

    And want would be better for murky wather, an 60mm or ef-s60mm?

     

    REgards,

     

    Martijn

  11. I was referring to the 60mm EF-S.

     

    I didn't even know there was a non EF-S macro 60mm. There is a 50mm, which I'd recommend against on EFS bodies.

  12. I was referring to the 60mm EF-S.

     

    I didn't even know there was a non EF-S macro 60mm. There is a 50mm, which I'd recommend against on EFS bodies.

  13. Thank you all, this is helpfull

     

    Regards,

     

    Martijn

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.