Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Opinions - CRT or TFT?

Started by Andy H ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Opinions - CRT or TFT?

4 posts
  1. I'm looking to upgrade my current desktop with a modest budget of 1200 sterling or so. Now, I currently have a good 19 inch Sony monitor. I can't decide whether or not to spend a little extra and get a 17 inch TFT or even a widescreen, or keep the Sony monitor and spend the money on the rest of the system?

    I plan to be running a Minolta 5400 scanner so am happy that I can get enough PC spec. for that money. I just have little experience with TFT's and don't want to find out that a TFT is harder to work with where image editing is concerned. Or would I have to spend significantly more to get a decent TFT?

     

    Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.

     

    Thanks,

    Andy

  2. A CRT monitor as opposed to a liquid crystal display will produce more consistent results. This is because liquid crystal displays do not show consistent brightness and color shades as your viewing angle shifts. Manufacturers are addressing this problem, but the fact remains that a CRT delivers a more consistent image from different angles.

  3. but the fact remains that a CRT delivers a more consistent image from different angles

     

    I've seen that myself but assume that for a desktop properly set up it shouldn't be too much of an issue? Correct me if I'm wrong..........there must be plenty of users here editing with a TFT?

     

    I may be trying to convince myself that a TFT will be acceptable :D

     

    Apart from the viewing angle issue are there any other differences I need to consider?

     

    Andy

  4. I upgraded to the 23" Apple LCD. It can definitely calibrate as well as the best CRTs. If my condo was on fire it is the one thing I would grab. I love it that much. And I have a lot more room on my desk.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.