Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

2 flat worms and 1 nudi from south australia

Started by pmerc ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

2 flat worms and 1 nudi from south australia

9 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    I found these 3 subjects diving at Edithburgh Jetty in South Australia this past weekend.

    It's great when a site still reveals new and interesting subjects after years of diving.

    I am hoping that someone could shed some light on these three subjects as I have been using the marine invertebrates of South Australia and encyclopedia of nudibranchs but have not been successful in their respective ID's. I have also consulted with a friend here in Oz and have posted his suggestions as well (*in quotes).

     

    The images of the small nudi (*about 3-4 mm long) have been cropped Possibly of a species of Aeolidina?

    "My guess is a Trinchesia sp. especially with those distinctive rhinos or a Facelinid or a......"

     

    post-22409-1311901617.jpg

    post-22409-1311901692.jpg

     

     

    large flat worm - I thought that this is could be Paraplanocera sp.

    but it was pretty big about 10-12 cm, the marine invert of sa book says to 50 mm long.

    from one pic the white pattern in the middle looks more like a different Paraplanocera sp.

    but text says only to 30 mm long.

    "Yeah my guess would be Paraplanocera sp. too. "

     

    post-22409-1311901719.jpg

    post-22409-1311901727.jpg

     

    probably the one I am more interested in is the cool flat worm with some shaggy bits on top: it was about 40-50mm

    this is not in the marine invert book at all.

    "Best i can do for ID is either Acanthozoon sp. or Thysanozoon sp."

     

    post-22409-1311901701.jpg

    post-22409-1311901710.jpg

     

     

    Thank you for the help with the ID's

     

    Cheers,

    Phil Mercurio

  2. Very nice.

    That last flat worm is very cool

     

    ed

  3. Yes he/she is pretty cool.

    Have found other flatworms with structure on it but not to this extent.

    Cheers,

    Phil Mercurio

     

     

    Very nice.

    That last flat worm is very cool

     

    ed

  4. My guess for the nudi is Spurilla sp. You may want to have a look at Spurilla macleayi.

    --

    Best regards

    Helmut Simak

  5. Thanks for the suggestion. I have a flip for the nudi.

    Anyone out there have a clue for the shaggy flatworm?

     

    Cheers,

    Phil

  6. For the second flatworm I can imagine Thysanozoon sp. as well. I have a picture of a very similar species attached below from the Mediterranean (Paphos/Cyprus) which should be Thysanozoon brochii.

    post-33093-1312201426.jpg

  7. Wow seems like a pretty diverse species. Thank you VERY much for pointing me in the right direction.

    Cheers,

    Phil Mercurio

     

    For the second flatworm I can imagine Thysanozoon sp. as well. I have a picture of a very similar species attached below from the Mediterranean (Paphos/Cyprus) which should be Thysanozoon brochii.
  8. Nice that You liked my flatworm. Anyway I had some more thoughts about your nudi. I asked Google the question "swellings on the rhinophores" and it revealed the following link: http://www.seaslugforum.net/showall/favoauri for Favorinus auritulus. Unfortunately the distribution does not match. But what I found when I entered "Favorinus Australia" were references for "Favorinus pannuceus" exclusively known from Victoria and the Bass Strait. To my disappointment I was not able to find any pictures or scientific description so far.

     

    I hope it helps

    Helmut Carl Simak

    Edited by HelmutCarl
  9. Thanks again, that helped a lot in the hunt.

    I think personally I would have been nervous asking google the same question!

    :dance:

     

    Cheers,

    Phil

     

     

    Nice that You liked my flatworm. Anyway I had some more thoughts about your nudi. I asked Google the question "swellings on the rhinophores" and it revealed the following link: http://www.seaslugforum.net/showall/favoauri for Favorinus auritulus. Unfortunately the distribution does not match. But what I found when I entered "Favorinus Australia" were references for "Favorinus pannuceus" exclusively known from Victoria and the Bass Strait. To my disappointment I was not able to find any pictures or scientific description so far.

     

    I hope it helps

    Helmut Carl Simak

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.