Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Need help deciding on UW Camera

Started by FishDragon ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Need help deciding on UW Camera

5 posts
  1. I am in the market for an underwater camera.

     

    I am mainly going to be using it for flyfishing, taking pictures of fish underwater, and outdoors on dry land. I would also like to be able to take pictures of very tiny flies of which 4 or 5 could fit on a dime.

     

    Here are what I have found and I am leaning towards the Pentax Optio WG1 but not really sure:

     

    Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10

    Olympus Stylus Tough-8010

    Canon PowerShot D10

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3

    Ricoh PX Digital Camera

    Fujifilm FinePix XP30

    Pentax Optio WG-1

     

    Any help or advice would be great.

    Thanks

  2. Ended up buying the Optio WG-1.

     

    Mainly for its microscope ability which is great.

  3. Best of luck with it. Come back and share some images when you've taken them.

     

    Alex

  4. I'm now looking into this as well.

     

    I have an older Olympus 1030SW that I've used for classes in the pool and as my pocket camera on trips for years. Love it. It's finally given up the goose though and is no longer waterproof outside the Olympus PT-043 housing (good to 130'). So I'll keep this camera as a unit for the case, coupled with a Sea & Seea DS-90 strobe it takes pretty good pix.

     

    But now I want to get a new pocket / pool camera.

     

    I was looking at the same list above, + the updated Olympus TG-810 and the new Nikon AW-100.

     

    I liked the review of the Pentax Optio WG-1 from Steve's Digicams, but he's much more above water than below. Anyone know of reviews for these other camera models or head to head testing?

     

    Thanks!

    John

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.