Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

SEACAM S10 VIEW FINDER

Started by FLAFROG ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

SEACAM S10 VIEW FINDER

10 posts
  1. Any opinions of using the SEACAM S10 sports finder compared to the S180 view finder ?

  2. Yes, I've been using it for the last 2 mths. It's very nice and more compact. Just doesn't have adjustable diopter like the S180 but you get full view of the vf. I don't have a pic of the view right now but it works well with older (1DsII, 5D2) and newer housings (60D prelude).

    The 10 degree angle doesn't make that much of a difference. Overall,it gives an excellent view of the vf. It was a little difficult to spot the difference between the 2 since where I was diving didn't give me the opportunity to switch and view the same subject.

    Also for verticals, the 10° does make it slightly awkward because you have to adjust for it... but it's not unreasonably so.

    Edited by Drew
  3. Hi Drew,

     

    Does the S10 gives the same magnification as the S180??

    wich one do you prefer?

    ]

    Rob

  4. Hi Drew,

    Does the S10 gives the same magnification as the S180??
    wich one do you prefer?
    ]
    Rob


    To me it depends on whether you personally need the diopter correction for your vision. S10 is bright and very easy to view, and I find the slight 10-degree upward tilt quite comfortable and intuitive. Plus, it is much lighter and less expensive than S180.

    Having said all that, I wear reading glasses so prefer +/- 3 diopter correction of S180 for focus-critical shots like macro. For wide angle, S10 would be my preference. Wish I would have had S10 last week on the whale sharks, as it would have been lighter for snorkeling and better revealed the LCD for video.

    Disclaimer - SEACAM dealer.
    Edited by StephenFrink
  5. Thanks Stephen

    , that is just what I wanted to know. I want to use the S10 for action pictures ( sharks and sealions)

  6. Rob

    I don't think there's a difference in the maginification. I think it's 3x for both.

    I don't have a preference in terms of performance except with the S10, going vertical one has to turn the VF as well. Otherwise, the 10° makes you look from the side a bit. I was so accustomed to the S180 it took awhile to adjust to the 10° view. And this was all in baitballs where I'm more concentrating on the animals and staying out of people's way.

    As Stephen says, the S180 is massive and I like the S10 for the more compact dimensions. If you have a S180, I would not "upgrade" to the S10. If you are in the market for a big VF, I'd choose the S10 only if you don't need a diopter. It's smaller and lighter for travel, and cheaper!

  7. Now I am a little confused. I use glasses for reading + 1,5 dioptre. I use the camera dioptre to compensate for this so that I can see if the fokus is correct. That should be enough compensation or do I have to also compensate the viewfinder??

     

    Rob

  8. Technically, the diopter on the camera should work.

  9. Technically, the diopter on the camera should work.

    I agree with Drew. I'm sure you can tweak the camera's diopter so the S10 reads easily for you. His comments about weight and price are accurate as well.

     

    As for turning for verticals, also true story. It is not so critical as with S45 to turn for each time you shift from horizontal to vertical, but I think it makes viewing much easier if you do.

  10. I ordered the s10.

    I am om a Guadelupe- San Benito trip next week. I will post my impression.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.