Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Spent $230 on a Graphics Card.

Started by wagsy ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Spent $230 on a Graphics Card.

10 posts
  1. Hi

    Gee as I am messing around with lots more Canon Raws and CS5 I spent $230 and brought myself a Gigabyte GTX 560 1GIG twin port card for my old 2.4 Q6600 QUAD Win 7 PC.

    Illustrator uses heaps of GPU now followed by Photoshop and Lightroom.

    Lightroom flies and opens up the Canon raws instantly.

     

    EDIUS 5.51 uses as much as 85% of the graphics GPU now.

    When editing native 1920/1080 Canon MOV files I can have the second LCD screen as my full sized preview window.

    I get real time timeline playback with 1 native Canon 1920/1080 25p mov, music track, static graphic and can adjust colour correction as the timeline plays in real time lol.

    I can play two raw Canon Mov 1920 / 1080 video files full screen on both windows at the same time. :dance:

    Using just single Sata drives, no raid.

     

    Be interesting to see what I get when I update to i7 Sand Bridge.

    Edited by wagsy
  2. GPU processing using Open GL/CL and for some software like Resolve and Adobe CS5.5, Nvidia's CUDA brings awesome speed. I'm just brought a friend a few Quadro 4k for his GPU chasis and his Resolve and Kronos work just flies working on Red Raw @ 4k.

  3. Gee the specs on that card make mine a toy.

    Hey want kind of software is that Relsove & Konos?

     

    Just tried some AVCHD and it cuts it up like butter.

    Do you know where i can download a few seconds of 4K to play with?

    Edited by wagsy
  4. I've got a Nvidia GTX460 which isn't anything spectacular, but am getting great results across the Adobe suite include Premiere Pro. You need to do the simplest NVidia CUDA hack though, but this just involves one entry in a text file to expand the support cards list. Gotta love programmers being dodgy!

  5. Do you know where i can download a few seconds of 4K to play with?

     

    Have a look around on the REDUSER forum there is a fair few R3D raw files on there including a space shuttle launch, plus some good EPIC stuff with an Audi R8 and also some London aerial stuff.

  6. GPU processing using Open GL/CL and for some software like Resolve and Adobe CS5.5, Nvidia's CUDA brings awesome speed. I'm just brought a friend a few Quadro 4k for his GPU chasis and his Resolve and Kronos work just flies working on Red Raw @ 4k.

     

     

     

     

    Hey Drew

     

    Do you know anyone using the NVidia Geforce GTX 590? Can't afford the Quadro 4K (good card for CAD and 3D computer graphics) I am thinking of getting the GPU to go with an used Asus P6T7 WS SC motherBoard which I got for almost free. Just found the specs - the GTX 590 has 1024 CUDA cores and a mind numbing 6 billion transistors....should be good enough for 3D video rendering plus some FX graphics.

     

    Cheers

     

    David

  7. From what I know, the Mercury engine only uses one GPU, evem on SLI dual processors units. Only Resolve uses multiple CPUs, as does Kronos. I'm not too saavy with what's the latest so u may want to check the software info pages.

    I do know that it's really about DDR5 RAM and how much you have for certain programs. For a lot of NLE work, the quadros only render slightly faster than my old GTX285 with CS5.5.

    Edited by Drew
  8. From what I know, the Mercury engine only uses one GPU, evem on SLI dual processors units. Only Resolve uses multiple CPUs, as does Kronos. I'm not too saavy with what's the latest so u may want to check the software info pages.

    I do know that it's really about DDR5 RAM and how much you have for certain programs. For a lot of NLE work, the quadros only render slightly faster than my old GTX285 with CS5.5.

     

     

    Well I have done it now. Got the dual GPU card from a vendor in Sim Lim Sq who also sold me the motherboard (for a song). Its got plenty of graphic memory all 3,072MB of GDDR5! Whilst I was at it I splurged on a SSD and four 2TB Sata drives config a raid drive. A complete overhaul of my workshop computer. I think this may be a bit overkill for Sony Vega Pro 10 but I hope this give some future proofing and for my design work. I will be shooting some 3D HD stuff next week at False Bay with a Sony TD10 and a prototype L&M housing. I also have a 3D GoPro on a stick and hopefully some compliant White Pointers will pose for a video :)

     

    I also heard about that some NLE programs uses more of the CPU than the GPU in the graphics card. Well I need the same computer for 3D CAD and Rhino3D so the sheer rendering power will not be wasted. Great for games too I am sure.

     

    Cheers

     

    David

  9. Yeah the whole CUDA thing is pretty awesome, if you are "just" editing 1080p then there is no real reason to spend thousands on an 8 core machine anymore.

  10. I have a brand new, still in the box Radeon 4650 512MB PCI express graphics card if anyone wants it. Its for FREE, it was sent to me but I have no need for it and have no idea whether it is a good card or not. But it is NEW and, yes, it is for FREE to anyone who wants it.

    Edited by Steve Douglas
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.