Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Writing reviews for free gear

Started by Steve Douglas ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Writing reviews for free gear

7 posts
  1. Oh the camera will pick up the difference, the point is whether you do or even care about the difference that counts.

    Many times, buying (not having it given to you for a review/ gift etc) the top of the line gear is less abut functionality than something psychological.

     

     

    Hey Drew,

    Getting gear 'for free' to review is not always as easy as you might think. No one, least of all me, is an expert at all things so whenever I receive product be it hard or software, there is an amazing amount of research and learning to do before anything is written. You don't have any idea how time consuming this may be. The novelty of receiving and keeping product for without having to pay for it wore off many, many years ago. Now if I actually got paid for the articles and reviews that would be nice but I just get the free products, most of which are rarely used and stored in the so called 3rd bedroom which looks like an episode from 'The Hoarders' TV show. I can't really sell it as they are all NFRs and that wouldn't be too terribly ethical to do. One problem I have when dealing with some companies is that they expect you to be an expert on everything but, and especially with complicated software, I have no compunctions with calling their app support people to get a full understanding. Then you have to interpret and simplify things for the reader. Once published, I then receive emails and inquires from all over the world asking questions about things I may not have covered in the article and it is my personal imperative to answer every one of them right away. I feel that is only professional and considerate to do so. However, time is eaten up like you wouldn't believe. I may have my own personal goals for the day but after all the emails and phone interruptions from different companies, I look up and it is almost the end of the day and I have gotten nothing of my own accomplished. Not complaining, it is work I enjoy but never think that is all that easy.

    Steve

  2. Drew,

    Just read the reviews when they are published here. You will see that I follow all guidelines. Just because I mention a product I am familiar with in the actual forums, doesn't make that a review nor does it demand a 'free' statement. That statement is where it belongs, in the actual reviews. I don't understand why you don't get that.

    In addition, I never once mentioned ToneGrade as a cheaper alternative to MBL. All grading apps/plugins are, imho, a form of cc. Some do it one way or focus on one area and others do it other ways and perhaps focus on different areas. Shawn H. likes to call it Color Management. Can't say I agree with him and it just confuses the already confusing lexicon in editing but anything that changes the appearance of an image can be considered both color correction and/or grading. I did say that I came across MB Cosmo that I have yet to work with and that I think it may offer itself as another form of grading.

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Douglas
  3. However, since you've brought up product endorsements/reviews, let's cover that. As a reviewer, you should know the FTC rules of declaration, 16 CFR Part 255:

     

    255.5 Disclosure of material connections.

    When there exists a connection between the endorser and the seller of the advertised product that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement (i.e., the connection is not reasonably expected by the audience), such connection must be fully disclosed.

     

    It basically means when you mention any product which is given to you for "review," you have to declare it, even in your posts. That's the price of accepting free goods for review. You cannot assume everyone knows who you are and that you constantly receive free goods to review. Now if you want to save yourself a lot of typing, put it in your signature. I'm not sure if the FTC will accept that, but I think 2 lines to disclose that all products you talk about are given to your for review is a fair declaration.

     

    Steve, you really should read my post properly. It says " even in your posts" which means the forum. The FTC guidelines are very clear. I suggest you read it before you go further, since your interpretation of them is clearly limited.

     

     

    Considerably cheaper is a new plug in for Final Cut Pro X called ToneGrade by CrumblePop. I was surprised at what I was able to do with a really lousy piece of green footage.

     

    That's an endorsement of the product, no?

    Edited by Drew — I won't even bring up how the community benefits from disclosure.
  4. Drew, don't want to get into a pissing contest with you. I gave an example just as you have many times. That does not constitute an endorsement at all. If I or anyone discuss the strengths and weaknesses of any product that does not constitute anything, it is a simple discussion. My writing of reviews for this site or any others does not obligate me in any way to stand on either side of a fence. Those reviews go where they belong, in the articles sections of whatever site I write for.

    My participation in forums is just that, a participation within a discussion. That's what the forums are for. Discussions, suggestions, helpful guidance, questions, answers, overcoming problems, sharing views and being a community.

    You clearly have not read any of my articles on Wetpixel. Otherwise you would know that I follow the guidelines set before me. However, in the forums, there is nothing wrong with making suggestions or sharing new discoveries of products that may be helpful.

    Sit back, relax, have a drink...you're taking your mod status to your head.

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Douglas
  5. Steve, you are mistaken. My status is nothing like yours, because I pay for all my software. If I pay, I can say what I want. Your situation is the reverse:

     

    Although other situations between these two ends of the spectrum will depend on the specific facts present, the Commission believes that certain fact patterns are sufficiently clear cut to be addressed here. For example, a blogger could receive merchandise from a marketer with a request to review it, but with no compensation paid other than the value of the product itself. In this situation, whether or not any positive statement the blogger posts would be deemed an ‘‘endorsement’’ within the meaning of the Guides would depend on, among other things, the value of that product, and on whether the blogger routinely receives such requests. If that blogger frequently receives products from manufacturers because he or she is known to have wide readership within a particular demographic group that is the manufacturers’ target market, the blogger’s statements are likely to be deemed to be ‘‘endorsements,’’ as are postings by participants in network marketing programs.

     

    That's from the FTC guidelines 16 CFR Part 255. Download it and read it. I did since it came out in 2009. You admitted to receiving numerous requests for review. You can deny this but it doesn't change the fact that you fall under FTC rules for disclosure. Forums are not exempt as it is a form of web publication.

  6. Hope you're happy now. Absurd debate.

    Steve

  7. WTH is FTC guidelines 16 CFR Part 255? Guys, at least post a link so that we get a chance to take side and start counting points...

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.