Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Stubborn dust bunnies

Started by ehanauer ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Stubborn dust bunnies

3 posts
  1. I'm having lots of dust bunnies on my D7000. I've used the big blower brush and the sensor swabs, but it just seems to move them around.

     

    A hot sensor is supposed to attract or hold them. Obviously when shooting video, the sensor heats up more than it would with stills. Maybe this is why I never had dust bunnies that were so hard to get rid of on my previous Nikons.

     

    Has anybody else encountered this problem, and if so, how did you deal with it?

  2. Hi Ehanauer: I have two D7000 bodies and I have that trouble with both of them from the beginning, which is very strange as I have never had that trouble with any of my other digital cameras. It seemed after 100 or so shots, I had lots of stubborn dust bunnies. At first, I sent them back for cleaning as described in the manual, however now, I use the "wet" method to clean them up, since I would be sending them back every other week for cleaning. It must have something to do with the sensor heat as you mentioned or something is being leached out of the black material aroung the mirror assembly. At this point, I think my D7000s are getting much better as they need fewer cleanings.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Ray J

  3. it seems like most cameras have some excess oil from manufacturing which collects dust and needs wet cleaning - a couple swabs with eclipse fluid a few times during the first couple thousand exposures. should get much better after that

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.