Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

canon 100mm,1.4 converter, ike ports?

Started by scuba-s ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

canon 100mm,1.4 converter, ike ports?

3 posts
  1. am looking to buy the canon 100mm 2.8 (non IS model) in the near future and then later date put my kenko 1.4 converter on it for the real small stuff,i have an ikelite housing my question is ,would it be possible to get away with only buying one modular port that will fit the 100mm with the converter and still be OK with the 100mm on its own even thru it will be approx 20mm longer,i can"t see it making any difference,but would like to hear from anyone with this combo and if so what model port extension do you have to fit both lens and converter, PS:-want auto focus only extention, any info would be appreciated

    steve

    Edited by scuba-s
  2. am looking to buy the canon 100mm 2.8 (non IS model) in the near future and then later date put my kenko 1.4 converter on it for the real small stuff,i have an ikelite housing my question is ,would it be possible to get away with only buying one modular port that will fit the 100mm with the converter and still be OK with the 100mm on its own even thru it will be approx 20mm longer,i can"t see it making any difference,but would like to hear from anyone with this combo and if so what model port extension do you have to fit both lens and converter, PS:-want auto focus only extention, any info would be appreciated

    steve

    I don't think you will have a problem. I had a custom port made by Ikelite years ago to accommodate the Sigma 150mm macro with a 1.4 converter. I have used this port with other configurations. The main risk is for the lens to see the reflections of itself cast on the inside of the port. I have used this very long custom port for the 105 Nikkor which leaves considerably more space in front of the lens and have never seen any issue. I believe the angle of view of lenses over 100mm is too narrow to be a problem.

  3. I don't think you will have a problem. I had a custom port made by Ikelite years ago to accommodate the Sigma 150mm macro with a 1.4 converter. I have used this port with other configurations. The main risk is for the lens to see the reflections of itself cast on the inside of the port. I have used this very long custom port for the 105 Nikkor which leaves considerably more space in front of the lens and have never seen any issue. I believe the angle of view of lenses over 100mm is too narrow to be a problem.

    thank you for the reply just as i suspected 100mm would have to narrow field of view to be a problem but had to ask to be sure ,better sure then sorry as they say,thanks again :dance:

    Edited by scuba-s
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.