Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Low Pass Filter Sensor Repair/Replacement shops

Started by zissou ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Low Pass Filter Sensor Repair/Replacement shops

4 posts
  1. I just sent off my d80 to get repaired. There is a 1mm scratch in the dead center of the sensor or the LP filter which sits over it. It could be a trapped tiny hair - but I doubt it. I believe it happened when I was attempting to rid of the huge dust particles on the sensor. I have to admit dslr sensor dust is a PITA. I'm tempted to upgrade to a D7000, but the cost is...

     

    I had trouble finding decent, recent feedback on the the three shops I found to replace the LP filter.

     

    1.) LifePixel.com of WA ($250)

    2.) Spencerscamera.com of UT ($200)

    3.) Precisioncamera of CT ($160 flat fee for unspecified repair)

     

    All claimed to have "fast turn around" however all had a few disgruntled reviews online. Spencer's has a BBB rating of F. Lifepixel was a little pricey, so I decided to go with option 3, since it was the least expensive and is a large manufacturer service center. We shall see how it goes. I'm especially curious if they will actually honor their flat $160 fee.

     

    Anyone have experience with these repair shops?

  2. I just sent off my d80 to get repaired. There is a 1mm scratch in the dead center of the sensor or the LP filter which sits over it. It could be a trapped tiny hair - but I doubt it. I believe it happened when I was attempting to rid of the huge dust particles on the sensor. I have to admit dslr sensor dust is a PITA. I'm tempted to upgrade to a D7000, but the cost is...

     

    I had trouble finding decent, recent feedback on the the three shops I found to replace the LP filter.

     

    1.) LifePixel.com of WA ($250)

    2.) Spencerscamera.com of UT ($200)

    3.) Precisioncamera of CT ($160 flat fee for unspecified repair)

     

    All claimed to have "fast turn around" however all had a few disgruntled reviews online. Spencer's has a BBB rating of F. Lifepixel was a little pricey, so I decided to go with option 3, since it was the least expensive and is a large manufacturer service center. We shall see how it goes. I'm especially curious if they will actually honor their flat $160 fee.

     

    Anyone have experience with these repair shops?

     

    Well, you get what you pay for, and some times you don't!

  3. Concur, a nikon refurb d80 goes for a mere $450 these days it's hardly worth $250 to roll the dice on a repair. $160 on the other hand is appealing.

     

    Well if it doesn't work out, it can always be an excuse to upgrade.

  4. Ok - I'm glad to report that I just got back my d80 from Precision Camera. The sensor is scratch free and spotlessly clean. Images at small apertures are perfect.

     

    It took two weeks, incl shipping, and cost about $175 including shipping both ways.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.