Hi,
I recently bought a Nikon D7000 with a Hugyfot housing, and the Nikon AF-D 60mm for macro. However I have lots of trouble making decent photos (on the technical level). The main problem is the focusing.
First of all I have the standard viewfinder which doesn't allow me to view the entire scene at once, making it difficult to make a nice composition. But I'll have to live with that for now, due to budget constraints. I'm sure there must be photographers that are able to make great photos with just the standard viewfinder.
The biggest problem is that I have difficulty evaluating the focus through the viewfinder, especially in low light conditions and bad visibility (which is very common here in the Belgium/Dutch waters). Mounting a Greenforce Ceto D on top of my housing to act as a focus light already improved a lot, but I have the feeling that it's still not enough. I have to aim the Ceto really straight on top of the target, or it's effect is mostly lost. Is this light not suitable as a focus light? Do I need a more powerful one, or maybe just a wider beam to cover a larger area?
The next big problem I encounter is that once I come very close, I have difficulty keeping the camera steady. Combined with the fact that even very small movements are large relative to the small subject distance, I end up with many out-of-focus images. Shooting at a large aperture and thus a small depth of field makes things only worse.
Does anyone have tips & tricks to solve these problems and improve my photography?
Jef