Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam Dome Port

Started by MPC ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam Dome Port

5 posts
  1. I recently picked up a D90 and Nauticam housing, about 1 year old, excellant condition. I have a Ikelite 8" dome port about 5 years old, I am told that I can get an adapter for it. Does anyone have any exoerience with doing this? IS it worth it?

    Or I could get a nauticam wide angle port, but checking around I see there is more than one to choose from, any recomendations for a Nauticam wide angle dome? I presently use a Nikon 12-24mm lense , but down the road I may get a 10-17mm so I would want to be able to use both is I am going to spend that much coin on a new dome.

     

    Thanks for any info!

    So far I love the new set-up just have to work the kinks out. Leave for Boniare on the 24th!!!

  2. I recently picked up a D90 and Nauticam housing, about 1 year old, excellant condition. I have a Ikelite 8" dome port about 5 years old, I am told that I can get an adapter for it. Does anyone have any exoerience with doing this? IS it worth it?

    Or I could get a nauticam wide angle port, but checking around I see there is more than one to choose from, any recomendations for a Nauticam wide angle dome? I presently use a Nikon 12-24mm lense , but down the road I may get a 10-17mm so I would want to be able to use both is I am going to spend that much coin on a new dome.

     

    Thanks for any info!

    So far I love the new set-up just have to work the kinks out. Leave for Boniare on the 24th!!!

     

    I adapted my Ikelite ports, it generally works well, but I do sometimes get internal reflections from the flash with my 7D with the 8 inch. Theres a small rubber ring you can buy thats supposed to block the flash getting through but some still seems to, havent had a chance to check it underwater yet.

     

    However the gotcha is you need a different adapter for other lenses than the 10-17mm, so you'd have to buy at least two adapters if you want to use it for both of the above lenses. Still cheaper, but shrinks the difference from switching over to another dome option.

     

    Otara

  3. Hi,

     

    Please be aware that there are two different adapters for Ikelite ports, there is the standard one and the one specially designed for the Ikelite 5510.45 Dome.

     

    If you want to use a Nauticam dome for both the 12-24 and the Tokina 10-17, you'd be unable to use the 4.33" minidome (not with the rectilinear 12-24mm lens), so we'd usually advise the 8.5 inch dome.

     

    Alex

  4. Just in case theres any confusion the other adapter not designed for the 8 inch dome in general, its solely to allow the Ikelite 8 inch dome to be used with the 10-17mm.

     

    Because it gets so close to the housing, the dome is screwed directly into the alternative adapter, rather than using the Ikelite 10-17mm port body as an intermediary between the dome and the adapter.

     

    The other Nauticam-Ikelite adapter allows you to use all other Ikelite ports as normal, including the 8 inch dome with longer ports.

     

    So you'd need both adapters in order to use both your WA and the 10-17mm with the 8 inch dome.

     

    To use only one adapter for both lenses, you'd need to use the Ikelite 6 inch dome for the 10-17mm instead. I find this works fairly well actually, as it allows closer focus due to the smaller dome, but you do need to butcher the port shade if you want to keep it on without causing vignetting.

     

    Otara

  5. Hi,

     

    Please be aware that there are two different adapters for Ikelite ports, there is the standard one and the one specially designed for the Ikelite 5510.45 Dome.

     

    If you want to use a Nauticam dome for both the 12-24 and the Tokina 10-17, you'd be unable to use the 4.33" minidome (not with the rectilinear 12-24mm lens), so we'd usually advise the 8.5 inch dome.

     

    Alex

     

     

    Alex,

     

    So If I want to use my 12-24 now and get the 10-17 I should just go with the 8.5 fisheye port, is that glass or acrylic? And is there a big difference in glass or acrylic other than price? Would I need an extension for the 12-24 lense?

     

    Thanks Michael

    Edited by MPC
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.