Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Adding a lens: 60 or 85 Macro

Started by Stoo ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Adding a lens: 60 or 85 Macro

7 posts
  1. I use a D90/Aquatica rig. I am pondering adding another macro lens and would appreciate your thoughts.

     

    I currently use a 105 macro, which I love. On occasion I find it a little too "macroey". I also have a 50mm which is nice for fish portraits.

     

    My dilemma is whether to add a 60 macro or 85 macro. I borrowed a friend's 60 this weekend and enjoyed it, although he didn't have a focus gear with it so I couldn't play with the focus the way I would like to but got some decent results considering my current Great Lakes location.

     

    A chap I met on a trip to Belize last year has both a 60 and 85 and advises that if he had to choose one, he would choose the 85! I've not used this lens, but I would think it isn't much different from the 105.

     

    Ideally, I am looking for a lens that can shoot up close, but will also work when that elusive larger critter swims by.

     

    Conveniently, the focus gear for the two lenses is the same, so I have ordered that... so I am committed now! I'm heading off on a liveaboard in three weeks, so I want to acquire the lens by then.

     

    I'd appreciate your opinions!

     

    Thanks!

  2. I use a 105mm and 60mm Macro with my D90 and like this combo. I have heard good things about the 85mm, however, remember, the 85 is a DX lens. No biggy. I've just been trying to stick with lens that will work on DX/FX. You never know where the future nay take you.

    Kirk

  3. I don't understand the place of the 85 mm lens in the Nikon lineup. Please correct me if I am wrong on this, but can't the same focal length be achieved with a 60 mm lens and a 1.4 teleconverter and still roughly keep the same 3.5 aperture as the 85 mm?

    Tom

  4. That's a good point Kirk... And one I'd not considered. Tom, I guess you're right as far as the lens goes, but I don't know how that would work in the housing with the port and gear... ?

  5. I love my Micro Nikkor 60mm (I have the older D series one). I often find the 60mm is too "macroey" which is why I sometimes put it behind a dome port instead of the flat port. I add a +4 diopter and so I can still get to 1:1. Working distance is greatly reduced which is a great thing if the water is not very clear. Lighting at 1:1 is a bit of a squeeze but I can just manage it.

  6. I should probably have told you that I ended up buying the 60. As it turns out, the week we were away, was right after Hurricane Irene, so viz was Cr*p!. I would say that 80% of my keepers were taken with this lens!

     

    Thanks again for your advice!

  7. Normally a 105 shooter but I had the same experience in Puerta Galera after a typhoon. You carry the 60 just in case.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.