Just made my new one. It's a bit overkill, but I had some 3-way clamps and got to thinking it would be nice to use the extra leg for a handle. Had tried a 12" floatation arm (ULCS, the smaller 1" diameter), wrapped with the self-fusing silicone "Xtreme Tape" for a while, but it was just too rigid and got in the way of top controls. Plus my new Ike rig has the top fitting for the ball (focus light).
So I found a place that sold 1" diameter Delrin spheres and drilled/counterbored them for eyebolt hardware:

Delrin+StainlessEyebolt by rtrski, on Flickr
This let me use snap clips on the typical length-of-rope-with-drain-line-grip assembly.

Eyebolted_Ball_and_SnapClip by rtrski, on Flickr

HandleLayout by rtrski, on Flickr
Like I said, it's probably overkill. I could've just got slightly larger snap-clips and got them around the neck of the ball adaptors on the top of the Ike handles. But it was a fun project anyway.I used snapclips instead of just tying to the eyebolts so it can be removed at one end or the other to use as a BCD tether without influencing the clamps.
BTW, I had to buy 25 of the Delrin balls (for about $10). I toasted one figuring out how to drill and counterbore it cleanly, and prepped 3. So I have 21 left if anyone is interested. Would be happy to ship out in pairs or quads for basically shipping plus a buck or two. Can even counterbore and drill for you if you're interested (say $3/pair plus shipping).
Hope the offer isn't violating any TOS, if so, mods feel free to delete this paragraph or tell me to.