Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 14mm f/2.8L II USM

Started by cotedenuits ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 14mm f/2.8L II USM

5 posts
  1. Can anyone tell me if the "built-in" lens hood on this prime lens can (or should) be removed for underwater work? I'm a bit partial to rectilinear WAs, but remain a beginner. I think I'd enjoy this lens for landscape work as much as anything, but would also hope to use it on an upcoming UW Galapagos trip. My 5D2 is Subal-housed...

    thanks, Jake Duvall

  2. The hood on that lens is built in an integral to the construction design, in other word, permanently fixed, there is no reason why it should be removed, quite the opposite, in shallow water, with the sun beaming down, it will help reduce flares.

  3. The hood on that lens is built in an integral to the construction design, in other word, permanently fixed, there is no reason why it should be removed, quite the opposite, in shallow water, with the sun beaming down, it will help reduce flares.

     

    Merci Jean! Meme-ci je marche avec un Subal! I'm working in a Subal housing with a 5D mk2 and I'd find any alteration too radical right now. But if I contemplate a change I'll know whom to call...and I've delighted in your advice here, for which many thanks! J Duvall

  4. Bienvenue mon ami! just make sure that if you do get the lens that A) you use the largest dome you have (this lens will suck big time behind a small dome) and that B) you have the right extension lenght for it (otherwise, it will also suck big time), once dialed in properly the 14mm is a very good and useful lens (but, myself, I would still go for the 16-35mm f/2.8 type II, at least for underwater, I think its a better suited lens, of course the above A & B recommendations still applies :) )

     

    Bon voyage au iles Gallapagos, tu nous faits des beaux clichés!

  5. Bienvenue mon ami! just make sure that if you do get the lens that A) you use the largest dome you have (this lens will suck big time behind a small dome) and that B) you have the right extension lenght for it (otherwise, it will also suck big time), once dialed in properly the 14mm is a very good and useful lens (but, myself, I would still go for the 16-35mm f/2.8 type II, at least for underwater, I think its a better suited lens, of course the above A & B recommendations still applies :) )

     

    Bon voyage au iles Gallapagos, tu nous faits des beaux clichés!

     

    Jean - Have you tried the 14 II on MKIV with a big dome and short extension? Really nice. I realize the question was about full frame, 5D11, but the 14/MKIV is a pretty brilliant wide angle option for reef scenics and large critters.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.