Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Subal ND7000 - first contact

Started by wendigo ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Subal ND7000 - first contact

13 posts
  1. In January, I entered a post regarding the Nauticam NA-D7000. ( http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...mp;#entry271527 )

    I was very pissed off because I had been promised to get the housing in time before my holidays. After two expired deadlines I sent an urgent mail directly to Nauticam HK. I am still today waiting for an answer ;-)

    So I made my divetrip without the Nauticam housing, but was recompensed with 3 tremendous dives with whalesharks and several dives with Mantas.

     

    But every disaster has also a good side.

    After I heard about the new Subal ND7000, I started a new try.

    What a difference! Sent a mail to Subal and got an answer within 15 Minutes. I arranged a meeting with Rolf Sempert (Subal Europe) for the next day.

    I got a very professional advice and ordered the housing. Unfortunately it was 2 days before Subals company holidays, but I was promised to get the housing in the first week after the holidays. And indeed - last Friday I got the housing. But I better had listened to the advice of Rolf. After my weekend dive, I realized that a 45° viewfinder is indeed better than the standard viewer. Sent a mail to Rolf on Monday, and on Tuesday I got the viewfinder.

    Now I am very happy with the Subal ND7000, 8" Domeport and 45° viewfinder. I am using a AF-S Nikkor 10-24.

    It is a really good manufactured housing with a splendid finish. Worth every Euro!

  2. I am happy that you got your new housing, and that you are pleased with it. I hope you have great experiences with it, and that you share some of your photos with us land-locked divers.

  3. What color did you get? :)

  4. What color did you get? :)

    good question - classic...

    Initially I wanted a red one. But for that you have to wait aprox. 8 weeks and it costs additional 350€.

  5. And looks like an old seacam!

  6. And looks like an old seacam!

    really? yum yum yellow? lets see a pic!

  7. really? yum yum yellow? lets see a pic!

     

    Yellow is only the photographer - but the coating is simply wonderful!

     

    post-33223-1313053851.jpg

  8. Subal now have a housing to port lock. Any idea when or if Subal plan to bring out extension tubes with a locking mechanism in them.

  9. My buddy Mauro was shooting his yesterday (when we were out with Franco in Orosei) and it looked pretty tasty. Not the greatest pic, as it was just a snap as I swam by not wanting to ruin the shot he was working on:

     

    post-713-1313306725.jpg

     

    One thing I like is that it has 2 electronic an 2 optical synch sockets. He also had the Subal version of the Zen mini dome that looked v. nice too.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  10. Subal now have a housing to port lock. Any idea when or if Subal plan to bring out extension tubes with a locking mechanism in them.

    They are working on it. It seems, that is a little bit of work to find the best way to cover all variants of extension rings.

  11. Subal now have a housing to port lock. Any idea when or if Subal plan to bring out extension tubes with a locking mechanism in them.

     

    Subal has now a solution for modifying the EXR/port for the port lock. But therefore the EXR/port must be sent to Subal. An external slider on the EXR and a notch in the port will be applied.

    They are also working on a new EXR which contains the slider. This EXR will work with the newer ports which already have the notch. The new EXR will probably be available in late autumn.

     

    I don't know which variant I will choose - but I have some time for decision as I need this for Antarctica in February.

     

    Maybe an important hint: If you feel that the port already has rotated a little bit, don't try to rotate it back while diving! You can get in trouble while forcing the rotation in the initial position!

  12. Any Chance of posting some pics of the extension ring with the slider it sounds like quite a good solution. Could it also potentially be fitted to the ring mount on older housings that do not have the port lock fitted.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.