Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Sea of Cortez Worm

Started by scubamarli ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea of Cortez Worm

3 posts
  1. I have been unable to find a resource for this one....any guesses out there?

     

    Sea of Cortez (Midriff Islands)

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

    post-1116-1313168104.jpg

  2. hi Marli --

     

    It's family Sabellidae. There are only a few genera of sabellids, let along species, that can be identified from pictures. I can see two radioles (the feathery plumes that make up the crown) sticking up while the other radioles are curled down. Do you have other pics clearly showing the tips of the two upright ones? I think I see small black swellings at the tips which would be eyes which would make this the genus Megalomma. If the tips are bare you'll have to be satisfied with just the family name.

     

    Cheers, Leslie

    Edited by Leslie
  3. Hi Leslie,

    There are indeed two black tips, so at least I have a genus. Thanks! There are more mysteries to come...sorry, not worms.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

    post-1116-1313186399.jpg

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.