Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

August Lembeh HD Macro Critters

Started by liquidguru ·

  • 20Posts
  • 20Replies

Read-only discussion

August Lembeh HD Macro Critters

20 posts
  1. Well my last post has apparently got too big, so I'll just do little monthly ones from now on.

     

    We'll start with a wonderful find, the incredibly elusive Hairy Octopus. These are another very small little octopus and this was the first one I have seen. They are probably the rarest critter we get in Lembeh. I really thought I would never be lucky enough to see one, then.. boom!!.. out of the blue (or muck I suppose I should say), we found one yesterday.

     

    It was very thrilling to see this little guy move around and just to marvel at his hairy appearance :)

     

    [vimeohd]27702349[/vimeohd]

     

    click here for direct link to video

  2. No wonder it's taken you some time to find.....he's tiny and so well camouflaged!!

     

    Thanks for sharing as always and hope all is going well at KBR,

     

    Jo

  3. No wonder it's taken you some time to find.....he's tiny and so well camouflaged!!

     

    Thanks for sharing as always and hope all is going well at KBR,

     

    Jo

     

    Hi Jo,

     

    Everything is great here, thanks. The diving has been fantastic. We saw the complete set last week - Hairy Octopus, Blue Ring, Mototi, Mimic, Wonderpus, Day, Long Arm and Coconut Octopuses..really fab, plus all the other general amazing critters.

     

    Hope you are getting out diving as much as possible :)

     

    Kaj

  4. That really is a fantastic find. Congrats.

    Thanks for continuing to post from Lembeh, my wife and I have been twice and will be back someday. Your Videos keep the dream alive for me.

     

    Thanks again

    Cheers

    Ed

  5. Lovely!

  6. I was in Lembeh for about 17 days of diving in May-June... This, the blue ring and Rhinopias were on the top of the list...never found them (not to say I didn't see some fantastic stuff though!).

     

    I gotta get there in August-September...

  7. Thanks Kaj. :) That's my 3rd fave cephalopod!

  8. Thanks Kaj. :) That's my 3rd fave cephalopod!

     

    Come on then Drew what's your 1st and 2nd?

     

    Great find

  9. Come on then Drew what's your 1st and 2nd?

     

    Great find

     

     

    Maybe we need a poll? What do we think are Drew's top two cephalopods?

  10. His favorite would be the Chambered Nautilus with the Cuttle Fish coming in a close second.

  11. Been to Lembeh 4 times and still don't have the blue ring octo. Got a few rhinopeaus on the last trip there. I've never seen or even heard of a hairy octo before. Is it a new species? I remember when the mimic and wonderpus was first discovered and have lots of footage of them as well as the hairy frogfish, but a hairy octo and a baby one at that, WOW!

    Steve

  12. Been to Lembeh 4 times and still don't have the blue ring octo. Got a few rhinopeaus on the last trip there. I've never seen or even heard of a hairy octo before. Is it a new species? I remember when the mimic and wonderpus was first discovered and have lots of footage of them as well as the hairy frogfish, but a hairy octo and a baby one at that, WOW!

    Steve

     

    I don't think much is known about the Hairy Octo, but this one is an adult!!

     

    If you want to see Blue Rings in Lembeh, then end Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec is the time to come, as this is when they mate and you are almost guaranteed to see one.

  13. Having had such a great find last week, I was not sure what this week would be like.....but, as usual, Lembeh delivered!!

     

    We found, on our House Reef, this incredibly rare sighting of a juvenile transparent Moray Eel of some sort. I had never seen one, Liberty (my most experienced Dive Guide) had never seen one in over 15 years of diving here....

     

    It was very difficult to film, as it is transparent, small and moving!! I manged to get it curled up and undulating. It was amazing to watch and I didn't want to leave it...this one was about 30cm long.

     

    [vimeohd]27967669[/vimeohd]

     

    click here for direct link to video

     

    I've posted a few pictures in the Critter ID section. If anyone knows more about this eel, please let me know.

  14. Gee that's pretty neat, great stuff.

  15. nicely done.

  16. Bobbit Worms are a very strange nocturnal predatory worm. They have most of their bodies buried in the sand, with just their frightening looking pincers showing.

     

    I was patiently filming a couple that were close together and my waiting paid off...

     

    ..the first Bobbit Worm attacks and eats a foolish Scorpionfish that wandered in too close...

     

    ...the second went for a Long Arm Octopus that got too close....I was quite upset, as I love octopuses, but luckily the plucky little octopus was too tough for the Bobbit Worm and escaped after a few seconds..

     

    [vimeohd]28280553[/vimeohd]

     

    click here for direct link to video

    Edited by liquidguru
  17. Bobbit Worms are a very strange nocturnal predatory worm. They have most of their bodies buried in the sand, with just their frightening looking pincers showing.

     

    I was patiently filming a couple that were close together and my waiting paid off...

     

    ..the first Bobbit Worm attacks and eats a foolish Scorpionfish that wandered in too close...

     

    ...the second went for a Long Arm Octopus that got too close....I was quite upset, as I love octopuses, but luckily the plucky little octopus was too tough for the Bobbit Worm and escaped after a few seconds..

     

    [vimeohd]28280553[/vimeohd]

     

    click here for direct link to video

    hi kaj

    still not able to close my mouth.....great stuff

    still on the wait to bring my family over to lembeh...

    my last visit was two years ago already...

    cheers,claus

  18. As always... awesome video!

  19. Holy crap :B)::dance::dance::good: That is unbeleivable.....

  20. Wow, awesome footage of the bobbit worm in action. I saw a bobbit worm eating a fish on 2 occasions on a recent trip to Anilao. Incredible stuff but it happened too fast for me to catch on camera.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.