Chris don't you find the epl2 has problems with auto focus as the light gets low? AF slowing and slowing and failing to lock? You try to focus and take a shot, and the fish swims out of the frame, before the shutter releases?
My experience in a store, is that it does not hold a candle, to even the lx5, let alone a gf2, in the ability to get the shot, with low light, see my post in the epl2 thread for full report.
For me, not being able to get the shot, due to AF lag, is the most frustrating thing about trying to use a camera, other than an SLR, underwater.
So the gf2 housing is $300 more than the oly housing. The camera itself seems orders of magnitude closer to SLR AF performance, and clearly worth it.
To me, the epl2 seems like it would be much more frustrating to than the lx5, or the gf2.
I've used the epl2 on 6 dives so far and have not experienced focus lock problems. Now, in absolutely no or extremely low light, I can see a problem, but it hasn't been a problem for me. I have a focus light, but it's about the smallest you can get, the nano focus light.
I also had a lot of cloud of cover on some of my dives and didn't have a real problem.
I can't say it locked focus everytime, first time, but it just wasn't an issue for me.
Even SLRs will have focus problems in extreme lighting conditions.
I have never tried an LX5, but did try a GF2 in a store and while it might have been a hair faster than the epl2, I didn't think it was significant. The epl1 was a lot slower.
For me personally, I did not really consider the 10bar housing. I wanted to be able to do more WA pics and the reports regarding the semi dome on the 10bar are not great. From what I read, the olympus housing with the Zen dome was a better solution, so that factored into my decision.
I was deciding between an epl2/oly houisng with Zen, a Nex5 in aquatica or a GF2 in nauticam. The epl2 was my last choice as far a pure performance, but when you factor in cost, it won out for me.
That's why I responded to this thread. The thread is about a low cost alternative to P&S. I was just saying it's almost impossible to beat the epl2 in cost vs image quality.
Oh, one of my dives was night dive and I didn't have a problem. Granted I didn't take many pics on that dive due to too many divers and lack of subjects, but with my little nano focus light, everything was fine.