Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Downsizing

Started by TomR1 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Downsizing

6 posts
  1. Anyone who is considering downsizing to a mirrorless camera should read DivePhotoGuide's review of the NEX-5 http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-p...er-photography/

     

    Their conclusion:

     

    "Even at first glance, it is clear that the NEX-5 is not for SLR shooters looking to shave some excess weight off their overall kit while maintaining the same quality camera. The limited buttons, lack of lenses, and slight shutter lag will cause frustration to any experienced SLR owner"

  2. quite right!

     

    The soon to be announced nex7 is purported to address those issues - lots of manual controls, and a built in view finder. But still, the lens selection is not there, and the lenses are not able to be any smaller, since they are still using aps-c sensors. The sony e lens lineup is clearly aimed at p&s folks aiming to upgrade.

     

    The micro 4/3rds is much more mature, and has lots of serious photo tools, including the gh2, gf1 and gf2, and a forthcoming gf7.

     

    The gh2 is a mini slr design, with all the controls you could want, truly great performance, and IQ nearing canons.

     

    The micro 4/3 lenses have a much broader selection.

  3. I have been using Nikon D3, D3X & D3s for years and have finally sold all my DSLR equipment. I am considering a small and light weight p&s system. And I am happy if the quality is like my first D70 back in 2004. It was more than ok back then and still is. I have made a lot of exhibitions with 140x100cm prints that has satisfied many people.

     

    I have especially looked at the Nex-5 as one option since it is the only small cam (there is uv-housing for) with decent low noise at high ISO's and I do need that because I still love diving at old steamers in the murky dark baltic sea when I don't travel...

     

    Or my other option is to go way BIGGER and a totally different track with a 645 or even a Sony EX1R... :)

  4. I'll be testing out (pool only for now) the NEX-5 and the Oly EPL-2 underwater this weekend. I'll have a quick blurb about it shortly thereafter. Side by side handling though...they have very similar response and AF times. The AN-5 Housing from Aquatica with the arcylic dome is a smidge heavier than the OEM Oly housing with the Zen dome. Haven't pixel peeped yet but looking at higher ISO (400 and up) on DPReview, the NEX has about a stop or so advantage in noise, and that's to be expected given the APC-C sized sensor.

     

    S.

  5. It should be noted that the NEX-5 is an awful camera in terms of ergonomics. There are much, much better performers out there.

     

    BTW the British Underwater Photography Championship this year was won by a photographer with an Olympus Pen, who had "downgraded" to that camera from a Canon SLR:

    http://www.bsoup.org/News/2011/2011_07.php#Splash2011

     

    Alex

  6. It should be noted that the NEX-5 is an awful camera in terms of ergonomics. There are much, much better performers out there.

    Alex

     

    Hi Alex

     

    I used the camera/housing in a pool yesterday just to get see how it handles. I have to disagree with your comment...as it pertains UW. On land, the NEX cameras aren't the best ergonomically. My (the wife's) camera did come with the updated firmware and it did work well, certainly no worse than the G10 we had. AF response though was much better than the G10, not quite DSLR, but certainly no slouch. In the water though, the camera does wake up....in the Aquatica AN-5 housing (full disclosure, I am an Aquatica dealer, but we did have choices on what to get). The controls on the housing are an exact match to that on the camera, meaning not needing to remember which button does what. S-TTL worked well using twin YS110a strobes. Manual Mode couldn't be easier. (yes it's a pain to set in Manual mode requiring a few button presses, but once it's set, you're done, and this can be done while setting up the housing). The rear dial is easily adjustable and the joystick feature works as well. The thumb wheel adjusts the shutter speed AND aperture, needing only a quick press on the "Down" section of the joystick to swap between the modes. As an UW lens, the included 18-55 kit lens AF very quickly and would work well as a general purpose "hunting" lens. Going to the fisheye conversion lens or the forthcoming 30mm macro (maybe with a Subsea diopter) for more dedicated shooting. Would I give up my 7D? Not yet, there still are advantages to using a full sized DSLR with the plethora of lenses at our disposal. But if I were to say just going on a quick weekend jaunt that prevented me (practicality or luggage-wise) from bringing my 7D housing, ports and arms, I wouldn't hesitate to use the NEX-5.

     

    cheers

     

    Stewart

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.