Anyone who is considering a mirrorless camera thinking it is as good as a dSLR should read DivePhotoGuide's review of the NEX-5.
http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-p...er-photography/
Their conclusion:
"Even at first glance, it is clear that the NEX-5 is not for SLR shooters looking to shave some excess weight off their overall kit while maintaining the same quality camera. The limited buttons, lack of lenses, and slight shutter lag will cause frustration to any experienced SLR owner"
I am NOT suggesting that the mirrorless cameras and not a good investment and an upgrade from a low-end point and shoot. What I am saying is that the current lack of lenses and slight shutter lag means that you are not near dSLR capability.
I personally recommend an Olympus e-620 and Olympus housing as a low cost dSLR. The housing is quite compact and a full range of lenses is available. The camera, while dated and the line possibly deadendes, still has no shutterlag. A rig with a much better 14/54 general purpose rig is about $1000 more that the equivilent Olympus mirrorless rig and really not much more at all than a NEX-5 rig.
Regards,
