Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Transfering images from SD card without a computer

Started by hmrhead ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Transfering images from SD card without a computer

7 posts
  1. Have an upcoming trip and was wondering if anybody was aware of a deivce that would transfer images from an SD card to a harddrive or a thumb drive without using a computer. With weight being such a travel issue was trying to get by without taking a laptop. Plus clean power may be an issue in regard to using a computer in addition to periods with out power or should I just pick up a few more SD cards?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Hank

  2. There are alot of card readers out there.

     

    I like this one Hyperdive

     

    I have a couple of them, but the bare unit and put a hard drive in. Also can transfer a good bunch of cards between charges.

     

    But bringing extra SD cards is not a bad idea. And you may get by with those...

  3. Do you have an iPod? If so get the camera connection kit (about $30). It will transfer your images from the SD card onto the iPod for storage. This is probably only useful if you have one of the larger capacity (120 Gb or 160 Gb) models

     

    A really low-tech solution is to just take a simple SD card reader, and borrow the use of a nearby computer, either from the hotel, another guest, or an internet cafe to transfer to an external drive of your choice (USB or hard drive or CD-R). It only takes a few minutes, and most people don't mind (in fact they are usually eager to see your photos!). I have not been anywhere yet where I could not borrow a computer for this purpose

    Edited by troporobo
  4. Buying multiple SD cards is almost always cheaper than buying a device to transfer them to.

  5. Another option is a cheap Netbook. I bought an Acer D257 for under $300. It has a 250kg HDD - more than enough for storing photos - and only weighs just over 1kg. You can also review your photos and even use Lightroom.

  6. That is a very heavy harddrive! :) I just have a small Pelican case for SD cards, its about $20 and indestructible. SD cards are so cheap now, just buy a couple more.

  7. I blew two card-reader/storage drives on the Belize Aggressor II, so now I don't trust them. I'd always prefer a small laptop and a back-up drive.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.