Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Zen mini dome dimensions 10.5 vs 10-17

Started by davichin ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Zen mini dome dimensions 10.5 vs 10-17

7 posts
  1. Hello all!

     

    I see that Zen now makes the mini dome for Hugyfot but there are two models: 10.5 and 10-17. I would like to know what are the differences in dimensions. I suppose the 10.5 is "smaller" or shorter, but it may be able to house a 10-17 with removed shades for a "closer" CFWA :) any ideas?

  2. Hello all!

     

    I see that Zen now makes the mini dome for Hugyfot but there are two models: 10.5 and 10-17. I would like to know what are the differences in dimensions. I suppose the 10.5 is "smaller" or shorter, but it may be able to house a 10-17 with removed shades for a "closer" CFWA :) any ideas?

     

    Ask Pascal. 2 weeks ago i have seen them at the Hugyfot office for the 10-17mm. Looks good, solid, but quite heavy.

    I think if you buy "the longest" you can use it for both the lenses.

    grtz, Hedwig.

  3. The Nodal point or entrance pupil of the 10.5 lens is less than the 10-17 lens. This requires a different dome. You can find more information on my web page.

     

    http://uwcamerastuff.com/modular_5_dome.htm

  4. Different nodal point location on the lens requires different placement of the dome's center of curvature, not necessarily a different radius. So maybe the 10.5 port with proper extension ring would work with 10-17.

    Edited by jcclink
  5. The original poster wasn't clear about the diameter but I believe that they are all the same dome just different backing plates that results different placement of the dome's center of curvature or nodal point, not necessarily a different radius.

     

    The extension ring would be really short about 13mm or 1/2". That is about the difference between the nodal points of the two lenses. Below you can see The UnderWater Camera Stuff Nikon 10.5 dome on the left and the Tokina 10-17 dome on the right. Both domes are the same size but the backing plate is different to get the nodal point in the proper location for each lens.

     

    post-2195-1314034933.jpg

    Edited by blibecap
  6. I thought the different in the nodal point was around 14mm so 13mm is the same. I also think the glass is the same and the only difference is in the plate. I don´t think the difference in the picture is relevant with those 13mm unless we pixel peep.

     

    My main doubt is if it the tokina with shaved shades fits in the nikon model minidome :)

  7. I don't see that as a problem :

     

    Nikon 10.5 Size: 2.5" (63 mm) around by 2.5" (64mm) long, rated.

    Tokina 10-17 shaved Dimensions: 2.75 in. (70mm) x L2.79 in. (71.1mm)

     

    only 6mm difference

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.