Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

3D Video Stabilizer

Started by wagsy ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

3D Video Stabilizer

8 posts
  1. Hi all.

    I have been using Prodads Mercalli 2D shake filter in EDIUS for some time but found it was not too good for certain shots.

    A couple days ago I realiszed they have a new version out called Mercalli V2 so I downloaded the demo plugin to see how it went.

    Has some pretty bad footage shot on my Canon 7D from a Helicopter so decided to try it out with that.

    Was pretty amazed at the results so emailed Prodad and they sent me a unlocked version to try out. ;)

     

    The 3D shake filer was dropped straight onto the raw Canon 7D and HDV files on the timeline in EDIUS.

    Its very fast and very easy to use.

     

    Here are the results, not too bad I think.

    It's a 3D Video Stabilizer filter plus it does Rolling-Shutter Correction that you can get on those CMOS camera's.

    There is a stand alone version you can try out plus it plugs into many other NLE's

    Please post here your results if you can.

    Have fun :)

     

    Without Filter - HDV

     

    With Filter - HDV

     

    Without Filter - HDV

     

    With Filter- HDV

     

     

    Without Filter - Canon 7D

     

    With Filter - Canon 7D

     

    Without Filter - Canon 7D

     

    With Filter - Canon 7D

     

    Without Filter - Canon 7D

     

    With Filter - Canon 7D

  2. Wags,

    are those auto settings? It's actually pretty bad when you look at the hill in the airfield clip. Also the auto-zoom makes the uw clip look like you ran into a few obstacles while approaching.

    Edited by Drew
  3. Yes I just picked an auto setting. :-)

    Still messing around with it but it's much better than the first version they made.

  4. Been playing with it some more.

     

    The fact that you can take unstable raw Canon H.264 footage with shutter skew and micro shake, drop a filter onto it straight on the timeline and get this result in just a few seconds is pretty good.

     

    Yes in the real would one would be using $$ gyro's or Gyro-stabilized Cineflex systems but this is for the masses.

     

    Once I added the shake filter, I was able to colour correct and sharpen it up in realtime afterwards.

    Anyhow would like to see others have a go with it on some of their own footage.

     

    Before

     

    After

    Edited by wagsy
  5. Nice, it would be interesting to see how this compares to the new Stabilize Motion effect in After Effects CS5.5.

    Edited by rnuijen
  6. Been playing with it some more.

     

    The fact that you can take unstable raw Canon H.264 footage with shutter skew and micro shake, drop a filter onto it straight on the timeline and get this result in just a few seconds is pretty good.

     

    Yes in the real would one would be using $$ gyro's or Gyro-stabilized Cineflex systems but this is for the masses.

     

    Once I added the shake filter, I was able to colour correct and sharpen it up in realtime afterwards.

    Anyhow would like to see others have a go with it on some of their own footage.

     

    Before

     

    After

     

     

    Thanks Wags

     

    Great info. I don't suppose this will work with 3D (3D stereoscopic) footage? I am lousy at editing so need some expert advise. Any pointers would be grateful.

     

    Cheers

  7. Hi Wagsy

     

    I have also used the supplied version of Mercalli with Edius and was unaware of version II. I am keen to give it a go. It seems that one will have to buy the Pro version ( $100 more) if you want to use it as a plugin in for Edius - is that correct?

     

    Thanks, Andre

  8. When I get back to land in a few days I will try it on some 3D stereo footage.

    On Taka Dive heading out to the Cod hole from Cairns :-)

     

    V2 comes bundled with EDIUS 6

    I am on 5.51 still so had to get the update, so yes it will cost you to buy the upgrade to V2.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.