This is a theoretical question as no member of this board would ever be so dumb as to do this.
Suppose someone was using a Subal housing with two synch ports. Say he used only one of the ports and did not put the water tight cap on the other synch port. Then went diving. Of course the strobes would not work as the salt water shorts out the signal in the open synch port.
At the surface there is no water found inside the housing. When thoroughly dried out and using just the other synch port the housing and electronics work fine and has made two subsequent dive trips without a problem.
Maintenance was as follows. Immediately rinsed with freshwater then dried thoroughly with a blow dryer. Contacts scrubbed with electrosove contact cleaner, dried, then tented (put on top of a box with just the open synch socket pointing straight down into the box with a hair dryer at the bottom of the box on low pointing at the open socket) for six hours. No sign of corrosion is noted on the synch contacts.
This synch socket has not been used since the accident. My question is do you think it is safe to use??
I know that you should not use a synch cord that has been submerged unprotected. The
salt water will migrate up the cord wires and can short out the camera's electronics if
try to use it.
I normally only use one synch cord and have the second cord attached to Ike's remote
sensor. The second synch socket it a backup so if something happens to the first one on
an important trip I have another that I can use.
The dive was a short one to about only 35 ft.
The subal synch sockets appear to sealed against water entry.
If you ask subal they will of course say to replace it. I'm not against this but wonder if it
really necessary. I'm not even total sure the socket was left open. The cap might have
the first thing removed and was forgotten about.
Just curious what people think about this and what their experiences have been.
Remember; there are two types of UW photographers. Those who have flooded a housing and those that will.
All the above is purely hypothetical. I would never do anything so dumb.
Further question. If you advocate replacing the synch socket. Would it be because you think salt water could have migrated up the wires and attempting to use it will potentially damage the camera, or is it because you think that the synch contacts will inevitably rust and the synch socket will not work when I really need it?
Do you think it is safe to hook up the camera and a strobe to see if it works?