Hi,
last May in Lembeh I made some pictures of a box jellyfish in a laguna at the very south of the island (Divers Lodge).
The size of the umbrella was about 10-15 cm in diameter.
I have no idea what species of box jellyfish it could be.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for help!
Cheers
Wahrmut

By wahrmut at 2011-08-25
Looks like Chironex fleckeri. Google it and see if that is it.
Thanks!
Chironex fleckeri looks quite promising although I don't know if there are similar looking species of box jellyfishes.
Cheers
Wahrmut
Amazing picture! Sorry that this post is unrelated. How did you take a picture like this outside and underwater at the same time?
Thanks!
Amazing picture! Sorry that this post is unrelated. How did you take a picture like this outside and underwater at the same time?
Thanks!
Hi,
this image was made with my camera & fisheye lens in a housing with an 18 cm domeport (looks a little bit like a small salat bowl
).
I was standing in the muck, holding the front glas of the port (almost) exactly halfway in the water.
For this kind of images you definitely need a wide angle lens with a domeport.
Cheers
Wahrmut
Good thing you didn't touch it, those are the deadliest jellies in the world! Hope you knew that when shooting it...
Good thing you didn't touch it, those are the deadliest jellies in the world! Hope you knew that when shooting it...
I did know that they are very dangerous but not that they are the deadliest.
Their behavior in general ist very important - it's definitely worth to search the web for some infos.
Cheers
Wahrmut
Good thing you didn't touch it, those are the deadliest jellies in the world! Hope you knew that when shooting it...
Chironex fleckeri, while extremely painful, is not the deadliest "box" jelly. The tiny thumbnail sized Irukandji box jelly is the deadliest.