Yes for sure the pany is the way to go. The 3rd version has less mpix than the 2nd, and significantly better IQ.
I got the Pany TS-3 around a month ago, for topside/snorkling/Kayaking etc
and I am pretty happy with it so far. For me the main competition was the
new Oly 810, and the comparison was:
- TS 3: slightly better movies, no sliding cover on lens (I like that since I worry
about the sliding cover getting jammed due to sand)
- Oly 810 has a much nicer LCD (maybe useful outdoors).
I've tried using a housed Canon G12 for kayaking etc, but faced two problems:
(a) bulky, and also you have to treat the housing with some care.
(b) The housing face almost always has some water drops that mess up images;
one has to carry a dry cloth, and wipe the face before taking images, which is
a hassle when on the water.
best,
Ajay.