Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Tiny Unknown Critter (maybe a juvenile fish)

Started by MrHappee ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Tiny Unknown Critter (maybe a juvenile fish)

5 posts
  1. Hey all,

     

    I've seen these little guys all over Lembeh and Manado for the last 6 years or so but I could never be sure exactly what they are. They are really small (about half the size of a sesame seed) and kinda swim around in a 'bouncing' type motion. Normally they are black and white but I think I have seen black and yellow once or twice.

     

    I'd tried to capture them with my trusty old Olympus SP-350 but they are just too small and move around too much. This time I took a nice new 7D with Nauticam housing and whilst I haven't really figured out how to use all the new equipment correctly yet, I did manage to get a passable shot of this little guy.

     

    As the title suggest, I'm thinking it's a type of fish but frankly it could be anything, crab, shrimp, swimming pair of eyes... This is what brings me here today.

     

    Any help would be very much appreciated in identifying this little guy.

     

    The first shot shows the critter using a 100mm Macro very close and the second shows it slightly enlarged from real life but against a background to give an idea of exactly how small this thing is and frankly, is probably what most people would see if they were find one of them.

     

    Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

     

    post-34739-1314626316.jpg

     

    post-34739-1314626749.jpg

  2. its a mysid.

     

    Link

    Edited by howeikwok
  3. Nice photos Stu :B):

     

    One of my 'tasks' in Lembeh is to get some macro video of these, but they are so tiny and bounce around so much that it may well be mission impossible!!

     

    Kaj

  4. Excellent, thanks for identifying this one guys. There have been ongoing discussions about if it was a crustacean or not...

     

    The one in Ivan's photo gallery is quite different in colour, guess they must come in a number of colours.

     

    Kaj, I think it's about time the weekly video had a real close up of one of these guys... Should also make for a good macro video challenge!

     

    Stu.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.