Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus PT-EP01 and slave strobe connections

Started by TNT ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus PT-EP01 and slave strobe connections

5 posts
  1. I'm looking to upgrade my UW camera to Olympus PT-EP01 Underwater Housing and PEN E-PL1, but I don't want to spend out on a new strobe just yet. I currently use a fantasea nano fibre optic cable to connect a fuji remora to my current setup. I've done some investigation, but getting conflicting information. Could someone tell me if I can reuse this strobe and/ or cable with the PEN setup?

  2. I'm looking to upgrade my UW camera to Olympus PT-EP01 Underwater Housing and PEN E-PL1, but I don't want to spend out on a new strobe just yet. I currently use a fantasea nano fibre optic cable to connect a fuji remora to my current setup. I've done some investigation, but getting conflicting information. Could someone tell me if I can reuse this strobe and/ or cable with the PEN setup?

     

    I can't see why not. The Remora info states it can handle Oly preflash. The PT-EP01 can handle bare-end fiber optic cable with the provided bushing. So you should be good to go.

  3. I'm looking to upgrade my UW camera to Olympus PT-EP01 Underwater Housing and PEN E-PL1, but I don't want to spend out on a new strobe just yet. I currently use a fantasea nano fibre optic cable to connect a fuji remora to my current setup. I've done some investigation, but getting conflicting information. Could someone tell me if I can reuse this strobe and/ or cable with the PEN setup?

     

    I currently use a Fantasea Nano fibre optic cable to sync a Sea&Sea YS-01 with an E-PL2 in a PT-EP03 housing. My sync cable has the plug on both ends (rather than the velco thingy) which triggers the flash on the lowest possible flash power setting - 1/64.

     

    Hope that helps.

  4. It will work fine. Turn your camera to manual at it's lowest power setting.

     

    Jack

  5. Fantasea Remora

     

    If you set the camera to manual, then there will be no preflashes from the camera and the Remora should be set for 0 pre-flashes. I know the Phil Rudin has suggested setting the manual power setting on the EPL-1 to 1/4 power rather than the lowest power setting of 1/64th to ensure that there is enough light to fire the flash. I would try it at the lowest power and see if you get consistent firing of the Remora. As you are probably aware this is not a TTL flash so you will have to adjust the power of the flash or the shutter speed and aperature to get correct exposures.

     

    Sea & Sea YS-01

     

    For the Sea & Sea YS-01 if you are going to shoot in manual mode set the YS-01 to manual (no pre-flash) and the camera to the 1/4 power or lower setting (in manual mode the EPL-2 does not have any pre-flash). If you are going to use it as a TTL flash, then set the strobe to the TTL setting and the camera to the forced or fill flash setting. The TTL settings will work even if you have the camera in the manual exposure mode where you can set the aperature and shutter speed yourself.

    Edited by smoore
Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.