Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Post-larval Mollusk?

Started by laz217 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Post-larval Mollusk?

2 posts
  1. Here's another... Anyone have any idea on this one? It is maybe 1/8-inch long and travels quickly (vertically) using what I can best describe as a pair of Dumbo ears. I see them quite often so I'm assuming they are quite abundant.

     

    In one of the videos I have from Nat'l Geographic, Ocean Drifters, there's a similar creature which they mention is some type of post-larval mollusk. Any IDeas?

     

    There is one more photograph of it in one of my stories here.

  2. Hi there

    I would ay it's a pelagic opisthobranch, but an adult, not juvenile

    there are two major groups, Thecosomes and Gymnosomes (= Pteropods), I would tentatively suggest it's a gymnosome, but try Wrobel & Mills (1998), Pacific Coast Pelagic Invertebrates, there is also a more scientific book on pelagic gastropods, can't recall the author and the exact title ... hmmm

    :lol:

    Art

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.