Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Travel Lite

Started by Hory ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Travel Lite

5 posts
  1. Hi, it's been awhile since I last posted. 2003? But it's good to be back. Back then, I was using a Nikon Coolpix on an Ikelite housing with a single DS-125. Packing was so easy as the whole gear fit nicely on one small Pelican case.

     

    Today, I have a Nikon D70 on an Ikelite housing, a DS-51 and my old reliable DS-125. A Light & Motion Sola 600 for my focus light. Arms are Ultralight. Am happy with this setup but there's just too much equipment to lug around. I was wondering if any of you have found a way to pack this kind of rig, or similar, especially when you need to travel overseas to go on a live aboard. I got one huge Pelican case to hold all this photo equipment (or half a body), another cooler-size case for my dive gear, a mid-size tool box (for tools, spare 1st stage, etc) and a backpack for my clothes, point and shoot camera (LX3) and toiletries. My neighbors think I abandoned the wifey each time they see me load this up on my truck. There's got to be a better way to pack for a dive trip.

  2. Hi Hory, this topic was discussed a lot, check this:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5814

     

    Personally, I put my housing and camera in a carry-on bag and everything else in a hard suitcase. I think pelican cases attract too much attention (not to mention they are heavy!) and never use them.

  3. I divide all my cam gear between my Think Tank International bag and Think Tank back pack. The International bag probably weighs more than my checked bag but I always carry it on. My one checked bag consists of my dive gear and the few cloths that I bring.

    Steve

  4. i manage to get everything in my Lowepro X300 back pack (13kg). except the dome port which goes in a plastic microwave cover and in the hold luggage!

     

    On the way to my most recent trip to Cebu no one checked me on the way out but on the back in they weighed it and told me it was too heavy.... once i opened it to show them what was inside they let me on... :)

  5. Thanks for the tips guys. Also for the link. Should have checked it first before posting this. Found it in the Digital SLR/housing section.

     

    I guess domestic flights in the Philippines are a little more lenient when they see you are carrying expensive gear as hand carry. :)

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.