Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17 mm fisheye for Nikon mount

Started by sasdasdaf ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17 mm fisheye for Nikon mount

6 posts
  1. Dear all,

     

    I am looking to buy my first Tokina 10-17 mm fisheye for Nikon cameras. I came across 2 versions - with and without lens hood. The one without the lens hood costs $20 more. What are the practical differences and which one is recommended for underwater use behind a small dome port?

     

    With lens hood:

    http://www.adorama.com/TN1017NKAF.html

     

    Without lens hood:

    http://www.adorama.com/TN1017NKAFNH.html

     

    Thank you.

  2. The non-hooded versions allow full frame cameras to utilize the 10-15mm portion of the lens without vignetting. It should be stated in the specs somewhere I'm sure.

    If your mini-dome has a non-removeable lens shade, then the point is moot anyways.

    Edited by Drew
  3. Interesting that it the vignetting happens at the 16-17mm range on full frame cameras.

  4. Thanks for the responses. I will be using the lens on a cropped sensor camera. In that case, is there any reason why I should not just go for the one with the lens hood?

  5. The only reason I can think of is if you intend to resell it to someone with a full frame camera or if you can't find the hooded one in stock.

  6. Thank you everyone for your advice. I've decided to get the standard one with the lens hood.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.