Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Coldwater divers, what housing do you use?

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Coldwater divers, what housing do you use?

7 posts
  1. I am looking to buy a new digital system. Have a decent budget debating between stripped down DSLR system (canon rebel, Ikelite, Aquatica, one lens, one strobe, etc..) or fully loaded “consumer” (Oly 5050, L&M Tetra, etc..) digital system. I sometimes dive with drygloves or 3-4mm neoprene. Do you have any problems working the buttons on your housings?? Somebody said it might be difficult especially with the DSLR systems, what do you think?

     

    Who did you buy your housing from?

  2. I use the SeaSoft 5/3mm gloves and have no problems operating the buttons on my L&M Tetra housing. However, adjusting the power output on the Sea and Sea YS90DX is difficult once the fingers get cold.

     

    I bought the housing from Backscatter in Monterey.

     

    Michael

  3. Hi NWdiver,

     

    I'm using the 5050 with the Tetra and most of my diving is done around the NW.

    The Tetra 5050 ROC control allows you to adjust strobe output with one touch control on the back of the housing. No need to be adjusting the knobs on the strobe head itself. I've also found the quasi TTL system to be right on for lighting macro subjects. You'll also be able to change lenses underwater which I find a huge plus.

    I get by with reef gloves most of the time, but if your hands get cold, I'd suggest 5 mil gloves and just cutting the tip off the index finger (Of the glove) so you can feel the half press on the shutter. I'm not sure how the dry gloves would be. They look thinner so maybe that's the way to go. You can easily press the other buttons with a gloved thumb.

    I purchased the complete system from Ryan at Underwater Camera Pros. Great followup service too:

     

    http://www.uwcp.com/

     

    Rand

  4. I have been diving with a Tetra (and YS90DX strobes) in cold water for three years. I dive with SI Tech dry gloves and have no problem working any of the controls. Hands never get cold even with light wgt liners in water below 40 degrees F. Dexterity is better than any neoprene glove even the Soft hands which I have a pair of.

  5. Sounds like the Tetra is the way to go. Are you using two strobes or one? Are two that much better? Anyone using an Ikelite housing?

  6. I have an Ike 5000 housing and a Subal housing for my D100. I have used them both with 5mm gloves and with diving concepts dry gloves. No problem with the controls on either with either type of gloves. The buttons and knobs on the Ike housing are particularly easy use. For cold water I find it is much more likely to be a closeup/macro dive. For those types of shoots the DSLR is far superior. I really like the design of the Ike small digital housing. It looks as if the new small dSLR Ike housing is designed upon the same principles. I would give it a serious look. If you win the lottery the Subal cannot be beat.

     

    Note, the dry gloves are fantastic. Especially if you have been operated on for carpal tunnel.

  7. I used the Aquatica A5000 with dry gloves and found I had no issues manipulating the housing buttons. The strobe adjustments were a little more difficult but not to serious a problem. Add a ziptie to the knob if you find it a real issue to assist in manipulating the knobs on the strobe.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.