Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Viewfinders - Advice Please

Started by pxguru ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Viewfinders - Advice Please

4 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I've been shooting macro for several years and recently moved towards supermacro thanks to the addition of Subsee +5 and +10 D to my expanding gear list. I had a brief look through a test rig in a store, which incorporated an Inon 45 degree viewfinder and was pretty impressed with the image (compared to the view I have through my Nexus pick up lens/Nikon D300 viewfinder).

     

    So, questions for those of you who have tried and used/rejected the viewfinder route:

     

    1. What are the primary advantages/benefits of using the viewfinder in your actual experience ?

    2. Anyone tried both straight and 45 degree viewfinders ? Is it just a matter of preference or do shooting styles/ergonomics etc come into play. I mean, how many of us regularly have to twist, contort or invert ourselves to get a decent shot, with an uncluttered background of a critter that is less than co-operative ???

     

    Appreciate your thoughts,

    Thanks

    Steve

  2. The nice, big, sharp image from a viewfinder is a boon. 45-degree finders are wonderful for shooting wide-angle images, but I find mine a bit awkward for macrophotography because it's hard to find the subject. I tend to aim the camera several inches above the proper location. Once the subject is in-frame, then it's fine.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  3. The nice, big, sharp image from a viewfinder is a boon.

    Absolutely!

    45-degree finders are wonderful for shooting wide-angle images, but I find mine a bit awkward for macrophotography because it's hard to find the subject. I tend to aim the camera several inches above the proper location. Once the subject is in-frame, then it's fine.

    I use my S45 for both w/a and macro and find it brilliant for macro photography although subject matter can be a trifle trickier to find at times. The low angle allowed by the S45 is really useful too. I would not be without mine.

     

    So I'd highly recommend a 45-degree finder - be aware that it might take a fair few dives to get used to but once you have adjusted you won't look back.

  4. Hi,

    I use the S45 viewfinder & it is brilliant I use it for all my photography, as Tim & Paul have mentioned once you have

    mastered the angle their is no going back. I can remember being told before I bought my viewfinder, don't look through

    it as you will want one & yes Paul you were right. But I will say it is amazing bit of kit.

     

    Andy :)

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.