Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

DIY Dual Sync Cord Switch

Started by Pfuller ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

DIY Dual Sync Cord Switch

3 posts
  1. I've been considering putting a switch on my dual sync cord (just after the bulk head and before the splitter) to enable me to quickly stop both strobes from firing, without having to physically turning off each strobe. Basically it will just break the trigger circuit.

     

    I need some ideas on how to make a DIY switch that has the following properties:

     

    * Flood proof

    * Easy to operate

    * Not prone to accidently switching on/off

     

    Anyone got any suggestions?

    Edited by Pfuller
  2. I've been considering putting a switch on my dual sync cord (just after the bulk head and before the splitter) to enable me to quickly stop both strobes from firing, without having to physically turning off each strobe. Basically it will just break the trigger circuit.

     

    I need some ideas on how to make a DIY switch that has the following properties:

     

    * Flood proof

    * Easy to operate

    * Not prone to accidently switching on/off

     

    Anyone got any suggestions?

     

    First, you only have to break the connection of one wire, the ground wire.

     

    My suggestion is to put a magnetic reed switch in line with the ground wire and pot it with some type of clear type plastic potting compound, then make a magnet holder so you can apply the magnet to turn the switch on and off. I cannot remember if a reed switch is made that is normally closed circuit, but if there is, that may be the switch you want if you will be turning the circuit off only occasionally.

     

    Be sure and test the current flow of the reed switch in circuit before potting, so you can change to a larger switch if needed.

     

    Good luck,

    Barry

     

    www.bareports.com

    www.keywordworkflow.com

  3. Thanks for the suggestion Barry! I'll look into it further and let the list know how i go.

     

    cheers,

     

    Peter

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.