Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Dome port for the d300?

Started by caymaniac ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Dome port for the d300?

4 posts
  1. When you purchase the d300 and it comes with the stock lens, would you purchase the dome port for this stock lens? Will the fit of the 18-55 be tight so that one might have image or focus problems?

    I currently use a dome port with my housed film camera and am very happy with the results.

     

    Thanks,

    Caymaniac :ph34r:

  2. Yes, the housing manufacturers that I've talked to recommend a dome port. This is primarily for the 18mm end of the lens, as the 55mm end would be fine in a flat port.

  3. How will shooting with the 55 end of the lens effect the picture with a dome port?

    I use a close focus 28sigma now so I think this would be about the same as the 18.

    I've used a flat port for a 90 macro, but to change the ports while on the boat is a real pain.

     

    Dive Safe,

    Caymaniac B)

  4. Many people shoot macro lenses behind domes with digital to offer a similar field of view offered by the same macro lens, behind a flat port, on a full frame imager (aka what they were used to before they made the jump). I've shot a 60mm behind a dome, and was quite happy with the results for fish portraits.

     

    The flat port magnifies, due to refraction. The dome does not. Because of this, your 18-55 should perform underwater behind a dome JUST LIKE it does on land, making it a very versatile lens, and one that will be favored by people making the jump from consumer digicams who are used to their zoom.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.