Seducted by Eric's very interesting results about a year ago and the new 3D-camcorders that has been revealed lately, I am in the process of figuring out if I should go for a 3D underwater camcorder.
Since options for a housing is rather few and mostly very expensive, I am ready to throw myself into a homebuild project... time will tell if I succed but before the first drawings arrives at the table, I have some questions to some of you experienced videoguys, out there!
Being interested in the new NX3D1 from Sony, my biggest concerns are the small interaxcial distance of 31mm between the lenses. If they even excist, what lenses would you put in front of this camera to make it as wide as possible?
Googling for possible solutions I found this for the Panasonic AG-3DA1: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7435...it_3D_Wide.html
If I just could find lenses small enough to add similar abilities to the NX3D1 I will be one big step closer to decide which camcorder to get for my project.
Another concern for choosing the NX3D1 is the controlling of important functions like focus, white balance, etc., that seems to be nailed to the touch-panel which will be very difficult to handle in an underwaterhousing, with less it's posible to get some kind of wired remotecontrol with "real bottons" that can be wired out to handles with piezo-contacts. Any sugestions here will be very appreciated as well!
Finally my third concern on the NX3D1 is the possibility of connecting an external monitor since it will be really hard and unergonomic to use the onboard touch-panel.
My second choice for a 3D-underwater camcorder is getting 2 x Sony HDR-CX560 controlled by a LANC-controller from http://www.digi-dat.de/produkte/index_eng.html#stefraLANC
Seems much more easy to fit to an underwaterhousing since LANC-controller and conversionlenses is already available.... BUT... it do seems to be behind the NX3D1 in recording quality and will under any circumstances also be a bigger and more heavy setup than the NX3D1.
Excuse me if I am wrong in anything above. I have never held any of the cameras mentioned above in my own hands... just know what I have been able to see and read..... and thank you very much in advance for answers and suggestions to overcome the issues I mentioned as well.
Kim Meineche / www.3Dphotography.dk