Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

silica gel bags

Started by Sølve ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

silica gel bags

8 posts
  1. I need 1 or 2 fresh bags of silica gel per dive, I guess that means I should not reuse them unless I somehow dry them (or can I use them several times?). Problem is, I don't know how to dry them.. Alternatively I could buy new ones, but at the local photo-store, they almost laughed at me when I asked for that... I have no idea where I'll be able to get them. I am going to egypt on monday, to sharm-el sheik, I guess some of you might have been there, will I be able to get any there? if yes, an address or something would be very much appreciated. so, in short:

    * can I reuse the bags, or are they full of moist after one dive

    * how to dry them

    * where to get them (anywhere, or in sharm el sheik)

     

    thanks in advance!

     

    -Sølve Slettebak

  2. Go to your local pharmacy and ask the pharmacist. They come in the pill bottles they order. In varying sizes and shapes.

     

    Good luck

  3. some people microwave them to make the fresh .. i dont think they work as well afterwards, better to get new ones ...

     

    Free ones

    1. Shoe shops, come in shoe boxes

    2. Pharmacists like yahesmtough said

    3. Dive centers, most i have known have them and some sell them

    4. Buy a new briefcase or something leather !

     

    Buying them

    1. You can get them for clothes in a different form from clothes stores.

    2. Amazon.com

    3. Photo - Video - Camera .com

    4. B&H photo

     

    I believe sea and sea do them as well.

    Giles

  4. IMHO, here's by far one of your best options for obtaining these packets. Get the two gram packets. The two gram packets are small enought to fit in some of the smaller housings, such as the Olympus. Super product at a great price from good company to deal with:

    http://preservesmart.com/products.htm#SilicaGelDesiccants

  5. THe Pharmacists are free so how can that not be the best deal going?

     

    I guess you need to know one first.

  6. IMHO, here's by far one of your best options for obtaining these packets. Get the two gram packets. The two gram packets are small enought to fit in some of the smaller housings, such as the Olympus. Super product at a great price from good company to deal with:

    http://preservesmart.com/products.htm#SilicaGelDesiccants

    You can get them for lots less. I bought a 1000 bag can for around $20 from http://mcmaster.com on a tip from Laz. Search for Silica Gel from their home page.

  7. well i got a 10 billion tonne bag for $2.32 from Bob ... you know who works down the road in that building.

     

    that has to be the best deal. B)

  8. I got a 10 pack from http://preservesmart.com/. What I liked about these packs is that they have little windows in them that let you see if the silica is saturated. This makes it aesy to know when they are done drying out. BTW, to dry them out I put them in the toaster oven at 150F until they are dried out. To keep them fresh until dive time put them in 35mm film cans.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.